cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive calls/texts

Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is a bit of a long standing problem and I'll try and keep it brief.

I signed up to o2 on the 8th of July for a pay monthly contract. I didn't port my number at the time of signing up since I wanted to ensure I could get a reasonable signal at two locations. After receiving the handset and testing it out, the signal strength was great so I used their online number porting form to submit my pac. I left it for a few days then contacted them to ask how it's progressing. Nothing had been done so they did it and a couple of days later the number was ported...sort of.

As has been reported on these forums a fair number of times, I was unable to receive calls or text messages. I could phone out with my ported number, but anyone contacting me was just given an automated reply stating "Press 1 to let the person you are calling know that you tried to contact them". This then led me to over a month of calling and using their online chat sessions.

I very quickly diagnosed that it wasn't an issue with the phone as swapping the sim out with several other phones resulted in exactly the same issues, regardless of handset. Of course o2 won't accept this and made it very clear that they won’t do anything until I go into a store and speak to a guru. I told them I would be unable to make into a store for a couple of weeks dues to working commitments and if there was anything else I could do. They just rudely kept ignoring my questions and telling me to go into a store (I have the chat logs if anyone wants a laugh). I have no choice but to agree. To keep up this endless dance of evasive answering and rude responses was just getting tedious.

So two weeks pass and I'm finally able to get into a store. I explain everything (once again), to one of their staff. Who passes me onto someone else who I have to explain everything again. They test the sim in one of their handsets and have the same issue. They try a few hash commands (as I had done during many of the previous sessions), and still no resolving the issue. They confirmed that it wasn't the handset (hallelujah). They contact someone on the phone who tells them that they've had a lot of issues with number ports from a couple of networks, they'll fix it and I will have service within 24 hours. I thank the young lad that was assisting me and left, faintly reassured that this would finally sort the problem out… Nope.

I leave it a few days to give it a chance then once again contact o2. They try to get me to start messing with the handset again, which I refuse. They now have to listen to me since one of their own confirmed what I’d been stating all along. They have no choice but to accept that there is something wrong with the account itself. The work involved in getting to this stage is quite astonishing, frankly. But at least I can now get them to do what I asked them to do a few weeks earlier. They raised the issue with some support team that deals with porting issues and they would be in touch within a couple of working days. Since this was close to the weekend, they said they would contact me by Wednesday the following week. This of course never happened, so I phoned up again on the Thursday and after once again explaining everything, they said they would personally raise the issue and contact me back. This was another lie and heard nothing for a couple of days so once again contacted o2 (online). Explained everything again and got the same answers again. They would personally look into it and contact me. I told them I wasn’t happy with this answer due to past history and they would then only reply telling me to phone o2. I was passed onto a floor supervisor, who I hoped would be able to answer a question for me regarding the legality of me ending my contract with them due to them failing to fulfil their side of the contract. This just put me into that position again of the endless dance of evasive and fairly rude answers. FYI ‘floor supervisors’ are just someone that you’re fobbed off onto so tech support can get back to work. They are pretty dumb and rude, will ignore what you ask them and give very short and irrelevant answers.

So it’s been over a month that I’ve been without the ability to make use of my phone. My number is used for business purposes, and as a result I’ve lost out on quite a bit of work. This has equated to a fairly sizable loss of income. I’ve spent countless hours dealing with all this and I’m no further forward to fixing it than I was a month ago. My advice to anyone still reading this is to avoid o2 altogether. Ignore any tempting offers you see, it’s really not worth it. For those that are currently with them, really consider leaving them for a better provider. Look for independent reviews and make an informed decision. If anything goes wrong, you will be forced into an agonising system of being passed from ‘pillar to post’, and lots of lies and false promises. It's just not worth it.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
You might also wish to have a read through the official "Porting Process Manual" to help understand where the responsibilities lie.....
http://www.mnposg.org.uk/Main_Documents/MNP2%20Manual%20issue%201-27.pdf
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 29

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm just wondering whether call forwarding to another phone would be an option as suggested previously but if the number can't be dialled I don't think it would work. 

The OP says they can dial out, but if the porting process has not been actioned properly the divert may complicate it more.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 22 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122892 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No technical expertise from me but....logically wouldn't it be better if @Anonymous got a completely new sim with new number and informed all his contacts via email of this change?

Maybe a quicker solution... #just asking...:smileyhappy:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't actually feel as though I've been 'venting'. I would only direct such actions at o2 themselves, not at a community of people freely offering help and advice. I have only, as factually as I can, stated what has happened. I've advised people consider avoiding/leaving o2 is in the vague hope that people do the sensible thing and stand up to a poor service by voting with their feet. If everyone did that, operators would have to eat into profits to fix that aspect of their business.

Back on topic though, I've taken the very useful advice offered here and spoke once again to o2 forcing the issue of porting. I was finally passed to someone who know at least something about the issue and told me that T-Mobile have requested the files on two occasions and have failed to reply (on the 5th & 8th of August). I asked why no further action has been taken since then and why no-one has taken the time to inform me of anything. He could only apologise. He has forwarded me a copy of the emails they were sent.

I then contacted T-Mobile and spoke to someone in their porting team who looked into the history and stated that they had emailed o2 on four occasions (the 13th, 14th (twice) and the 15th of August). They have sent me copies of these as well as cc'ing me in on the email they're about to send. T-Mobile claim that they have failed to receive a response to any of the emails they have sent so on this occasion they are going to phone o2 as soon as the files are sent to confirm their receipt. All I can do now is wait.

If o2 told me that all they needed was two files from T-Mobile, I could have sorted this myself weeks ago. Thanks again for all the helpful and supportive replies to this thread.

Message 24 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

No technical expertise from me but....logically wouldn't it be better if @Anonymous got a completely new sim with new number and informed all his contacts via email of this change?

Maybe a quicker solution... #just asking...:smileyhappy:

I have already done this the best I can, but I have limited reach of the people that I'd need to contact. I've had this number for about a decade so it's quite well known. People that currently call my number are left with the impression that I'll be in some way aware that they've contacted me. Sadly I'm not and it just seems as though I'm not bothering to reply.

Message 25 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122892 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@AnonymousIt seems you are another step further in this debacle.

I really hope that the action currently underway resolves this for you asap...Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 29

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Some progress at least. I hope your next update will be news that your number has been ported properly.

Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
We're all Rooting for you. slight_smile
Message 28 of 29

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
We can only wish you luck slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 29