cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The End of Nokia.... Microsoft Lumia will replace the Nokia brand

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sad day...who can forget the 3310,6210,...and so many others....

(source http://www.theverge.com/)

Microsoft started dropping hints about its plans to kill off the Nokia and Windows Phone brands last month, and now the company is ready to make it official. Microsoft Lumia is the new brand name that takes the place of Nokia for the software maker. The name change follows a slow transition from Nokia.com over to Microsoft's new mobile site, and Nokia France will be the first of many countries that adopt "Microsoft Lumia" for its Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts. Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that other countries will follow the rebranding steps in the coming weeks.

NOKIA IS STILL A SEPARATE COMPANY

Microsoft's decision to drop the Nokia brand itself doesn't mean that Nokia is going away fully. Nokia still exists as a separate company without its phones business, and the Finnish firm now focuses on mapping and network infrastructure. Microsoft's choice to use Lumia as the Nokia replacement won't come as a surprise to many. Nokia's Windows Phone apps have been rebranded to Lumia recently, and holiday ads will be pushing Lumia instead of Nokia.

What's not clear is how Microsoft will handle the branding on its future Windows Phone. Existing Lumia devices carry the Nokia logo at the front and back typically, and Microsoft could opt for just Lumia or Microsoft at the front and back, or even the lengthier Microsoft Lumia combination. We'll likely have to wait until Microsoft announces a new Lumia after the rebranding exercise to understand exactly how the company will label its future Windows Phones.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144325 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I had noticed all the old Nokia websites were now part of MS and all MS branded.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

End of an era for the brand which once was the front runner in mobile technology slight_frown

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like many others bought into the Nokia Brand and moved away a few years ago due to them not supporting some of their platforms as strongly as they could !

The N900 is awesome and one of the first open handsets I used.

Sad times 😞
Message 4 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

NOKIA IS STILL A SEPARATE COMPANY

Yeah, so is Ericsson after sony spat them back up, how's that going?

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144325 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Who.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 16

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Who.....?

You remember them, each one came shipped with ulrika johnsson as a wallpaper.

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @Anonymous ..... but ..... feeling sad ..... love my little Nokia 515 phone

always had Nokia's ..... because ..... when 1st choosing a mobile phone Nokia was the only name I knew .....  but ..... imho att Nokia was innovative slight_frown

Message 8 of 16

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Very innovative but also too stubborn in standing by its failing operating system.
If they accepted android when others did, they would now be sitting alongside Samsung.
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
Who.....?

You remember them, each one came shipped with ulrika johnsson as a wallpaper.

LOL

Message 10 of 16