cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tap to Pay in Windows Phone 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does O2 have any plans to support this feature when WP8.1 is released?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think NFC payments have been enabled on any of the UK carriers devices yet. 

Weve is a joint venture between EE, O2 and Vodafone to bring contactless payments to its customers and I believe Tesco are currently trialling payments via Mastercard.

http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/02/06/327765/weve-partners-mastercard-nfc-payments-uk/

So yes, there are probably plans but as far as I can tell there are no dates set for any of the carriers on any device or operating system.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think NFC payments have been enabled on any of the UK carriers devices yet. 

Weve is a joint venture between EE, O2 and Vodafone to bring contactless payments to its customers and I believe Tesco are currently trialling payments via Mastercard.

http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/02/06/327765/weve-partners-mastercard-nfc-payments-uk/

So yes, there are probably plans but as far as I can tell there are no dates set for any of the carriers on any device or operating system.

Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, that's good to know. Tap to Pay is integrated into WP8.1 and apparently requires a secure SIM from a mobile operator in order to use it, the only problem is that I don't know if O2 provde them yet.

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, Tap to Pay is found under the NFC settings on WP 8.1, and because O2 havent enabled payment over NFC yet you'll need to wait for that I'd think.

I havent heard of secure SIMs on O2 but I guess you'd need to speak to Customer Services about getting one if they are available. 

Of course, i could be completely wrong about all of this!Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

All Tap to Pay needs is the Secure SIM to work, O2 only need to provide the SIM so I'll see what customer services say about it. A Secure SIM is just a SIM that has the secure element needed to authorise payments.

Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good News!

I spoke to the o2 Guru via live chat and have been informed that contactless payment sim cards should be being made available in LATE JULY!

I don't feel there is much support pushing for this feature at present - Is anyone else after this feature or am i just a techhy who likes unusual features?

Message 6 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It may well be of benefit to customers such as yourself but to be honest it's not something that I would use.

Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It may well be of benefit to customers such as yourself but to be honest it's not something that I would use.

No nor me @jonsie I would be far too worried that inadvertent tapping on my behalf would result in paying for stuff I never ordered, nor wanted...Horrified

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm certainly interested seeing as Tap to Pay is in WP8.1 already Bouncy

@Cleoriff You shouldn't be worried about purchases going though for items you didn't want as you have to tap your phone against an NFC reader built into the chip and pin card reader, it's short range RF anyway so the likelyhood of an accidental purchase is non existent.

Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous  Phew...I can breathe a sigh of relief then. However I will still stay clear I thinkSmiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18