Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing contacts and Data Sense

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hopefully someone can help, couple of puzzlers here. A friend just bought a 930, I'm the designated 'expert' setting it up for him

1/ Syncing contacts.

He had an old Nokia 300, I used Nokia suite to save/export the contacts to file (250+) and then somehow imported those to my Gmail account where I was then able to export them as a job lot csv file. These were then imported to the outlook.com Microsoft account I had set up for him in readiness for the new phone <and pauses to draw breath!)

Despite all contacts being on the Outlook People page (Outlook contacts complete with phone numbers) and syncing fine with the new phone only a few of the 250 new contacts on the phone have phone numbers. i.e Names but no numbers.

2/ Data Sense

He has 500MB of data on his contract. When I tried to set up Data Sense it asks for the Monthly reset date and Monthly data limit. No problem with the data limit but the reset date choice is 1 - 28 on the drop down selection!?!?!? His resets on the 30th so how do I set that?

Just noticed before posting, the phone numbers for contacts on Outlook People are mostly designated as 'Other' as opposed to 'Mobile' 'Home' etc. I wonder if that's the problem, I'll cry if I have to change 250 of them manually 😞

Thanks.

PS: The former Nokia support forum sems to have been consumed by Msoft and I can't get logged in tonight to ask this on the Lumia forum.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Only numbers designated as Mobile / Work will sync.
You'll have to edit out all the "others" and change them to a recognised number field. "Others" is considered a free text field and not synced.
MS's reasoning for only 28 days is that it covers every month (Feb only having 28 days) and they suggest you set the 1st as a reset date for any date not covered.
My feelings are that someone messed up and they will correct it later on at some point wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi tullyhubbert

To be honest getting my contscts from Gmail to my Nokia Lumia 520 was straightforward and downloaded all the contact details.

I agree manually changing them would be a bind.

Possible help link -> http://www.guidingtech.com/19997/add-google-contacts-windows-phone-8/ Their are a few more to look at too via a Google Search.

Perhaps look to see if a Google Search brings back anything.

Take a look here -> http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp8/connectivity/use-data-sense-to-manage-data-usage but as this is a data tracking feature only I'm wondering what harm would happen if you chose the 28th apart from a slight imbalance on the count.

Good luck.
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Only numbers designated as Mobile / Work will sync.
You'll have to edit out all the "others" and change them to a recognised number field. "Others" is considered a free text field and not synced.
MS's reasoning for only 28 days is that it covers every month (Feb only having 28 days) and they suggest you set the 1st as a reset date for any date not covered.
My feelings are that someone messed up and they will correct it later on at some point wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks BOB and MI5.

Looks like an evening sorting the addresses out (that will be worthwhile as you'd need the enigma machine to understand his entries as is!) Msoft have slightly gaffed worth Data Sense. I set it to 28 so might change to 1st.

He bought the phone from a rival telecoms co in a black Friday deal. £22.50pm for a 930 500 mins and 500 data is a great deal. Phone is lovely but lack of a glance screen would put me off buying one (well that and the price)

Not too impressed with so sales though, put a new nano SIM in it for him ok but didn't tell him to turn off his old phone which held the network from swapping SIMs. This meant the time/date update didn't work on me phone which believe it or not prevented the phone syncing with his new Microsoft account throwing up a random fault code. A quick google sorted that after some head scratching. Considering the man is in his 70s they could have tried a bit harder perhaps.

Anyhow, we are getting there, thanks again.
Message 4 of 10

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hmm, should proof read my posts first. Can't find an edit post option on my phone so you'll have to guess. Should say not impressed with SHOP sales.

--
JC
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome

Not a good start I admit but I'm sure your on the case. 

Good luck slight_smile

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
At least you only have to correct the entries once slight_smile
Took me a while to figure out the entry fields too but got there in the end wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bit of an update, everything sorted and the user (A man in his 70s) while not using it to it's full potential (Who does?) is getting on with it quite well.

However (And he didn't tell me this before getting a WP) one of the main reasons for wanting a smart phone was to be able to use Mobile boarding passes when flying with EasyJet. Guess what, EasyJet only have Android and IOS apps for that. His telecoms company has a V in it, they only have MyV apps for Android, IOS and Blackberry (Though this was a bit much!)

A bit dissapointing and perhaps shows how the WP app range still lags behind.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the update.

Good to hear things are now sorted  Bouncy

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Apps are coming on fast for WP8 now that the phones are increasing in popularity.
My 12 year old daughter prefers her Lumia over her iPhone so that says volumes to me.....
There is still some catching up to do but that is only to be expected and won't be long before there is a full and equal range to choose from slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10