O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
white_noise

So you have got your HTC desire - now what

so finally people are getting there desires on o2,
what tips and tricks have you found and what apps rock?
WN
Please use plain text.
white_noise

some decent apps/widgets for ya
Google Sky Map
A map of the sky - all the stars, constellations, planets, viewable on your screen as you pan around the sky. You can search for any item too and it'll point you towards it and then highlight it.
ShopSavvy
Everybody knows this one. It's better than Barcode Scanner. It scans barcodes and then searches the web, and shops nearby for the best price and presents the results beautifully. You can then either buy online or it'll give you walking directions to the local shops that stock it!
Shazam
Again, everybody knows this one - identify the title and artist of any song for free just by holding your phone up to the music.
beebPlayer
iPlayer on your phone. Hopefully they'll bring back live TV soon when they sort out the licensing issues or whatever the problem is.
Advanced Task Killer
Really easy way to destroy apps that don't close themselves. It remembers the apps that you like to keep open so you don't have to unselect them each time. You just open it, click kill, and it kills all the apps that you haven't unselected before, and it even kills itself.
Wifi Widget
Turns Wifi on/off with one-touch from whatever screen you put it on.
EDIT: Just found MySettings which gives you one-touch access to a load of common things like WiFi, I have just replaced the WiFi widget with this.
Carrr Matey
Uses GPS to remember where you left your car and talks to you like a pirate. Also has a cool screen where you can draw info (with your finger) like what parking level/bay/colour you left your car in.
Goggles
Still very unpolished but impressive nonetheless. Tries to identify places/objects that you can take a picture of. Recognised a £20 note and a packet of smarties, didn't recognise a coffee cup or a computer mouse.
Network Monitor
Very useful if you have a limited data plan like me (500Mb/month). Breaks down your usage into day/week/month/year and splits it into Wifi and non-Wifi. You can set it to alert you when you hit a certain threshold.
Sweet Dreams
This one is particularly awesome. In a nutshell, you never have to worry about putting your phone on silent at night or when you're in work. Based on time of day (definable for each day of the week), phone movement, sounds near the phone, or your location, you can tell it go silent or disable wifi. For example, you can set your phone to go silent when you are within x metres of any number of locations (i.e work, the doctors), or simply to go silent after 10pm and wake up at 7am (except Sat and Sun where you could tell it to stay asleep until 10am). I have mine set to within 50m of my desk at work, so as soon as I walk in the building, my phone automatically goes silent :smileyhappy:
Where's My Droid?
Ever lose your phone and leave it on silent? Just text your phone a pre-defined phrase and it'll turn itself off silent and ring for 30 seconds / 1 minute / 5 minutes until you pick it up.
WaveSecure
Not free (I think about 90p/month), but you can remotely track and disable your phone from the WaveSecure website if it gets stolen. It can be set to periodically upload your personal files (photos/videos/SMS etc) to a secure storage area on the site so you don't lose any of the important stuff, too.

WN
Please use plain text.
draken

Can we also discuss cases/screen protectors here as well? Id be intrigued to know/see what type of protection people are using for their Desires :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
aldredd

Can we also discuss cases/screen protectors here as well? Id be intrigued to know/see what type of protection people are using for their Desires :smileyhappy:

I've been looking at the 'invisible' ones that stick to the whole case, but they look very fiddly to apply, and no guarantee of a good finish - and they're pretty expensive (around £17 on eBay I think)
Please use plain text.
markeas

people I know who already have a desire have been using

invisibleSHIELD or Martin Fields
Please use plain text.
Lembo

Case and screen protector

On mine.

Martin fields screen protector (remember to use tape to handle when applying)
&
Flexishield (for Nexus One) which fits perfectly.

- Both from Mobilefun

Also spare micro usb able from eBay for £2.50 :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Lembo

My Apps

Highly
Advanced Task Killer
Barcode Scanner
Google Goggles
Shazam

Recommended
London Tube Status & London City (I work in London which helps)
Layar
Photoshop
Movies
Mabilo Ringtones
Compass
Shop Savvy
Battery Time Lite
Remote Recorder (Sky+ 3rd party app)
National Rail
2010 World Cup
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
Danny_Wood

Apart from me not been able to get any 3g or higher it seems ok, ive extremly dissapointed at the moment with my conection. unless im on wifi i never get anything higher than G = Gprs.
Internet is extremly slow with this, phoned o2 regarding this and they were usless
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
Jawswing

Apart from me not been able to get any 3g or higher it seems ok, ive extremly dissapointed at the moment with my conection. unless im on wifi i never get anything higher than G = Gprs.
Internet is extremly slow with this, phoned o2 regarding this and they were usless

You may just not have a 3G signal in your area? Nothing someone in a call center can sort out.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
Danny_Wood

You may just not have a 3G signal in your area? Nothing someone in a call center can sort out.

I do, as i had 3g in this house with my iphone, also checked on the o2 site and they provide to this area
Please use plain text.