cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S5 - can a faulty charging port affect the aerial/antennae?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My Samsung S5 started acting weird last week where it kept saying it was overheating and when I eventually turned it off to charge it, it complained that the battery temperature was too low. The messages disappeared so I plugged the chrger in. Instead of charging, it drained the battery dead.

Since then, after trying different sims and batteries in my phone and resetting to factory default the faults are:

- It won't charge at all

- It won't get a signal, it says no service.

As it still has a year left of warranty I had a chat with O2 about this and was about to book a repair but felt it necessary to tell them it has a crack in the screen from a few months ago. I was told that the screen would have to be repaired as they don't do partial repairs. This means I will have a cost for screen replacement before they will even look at the other faults. As I have £150 owing on thjis device I am wondering what to do.

My questions are:

1. Could the charging and no service problem be related?

2. Does anyone know how much 02 charge for fixing an LCD display?

3. Has anyone else had similar faults with charging/antennae and how much did it cost to fix?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Samsung says they have to repair the screen at £104 before they look at the rest. With £135 owing on it (down £15 since I last wrote) I can't see the point getting it repaired to then have to continue paying for it. I might as well cut my losses and pay the £135 and get a new phone. Its a pity really and although I can sort of understamd why they need to repair the LCD I cannot help feeling it is like having an engine problem with my car and them inisisting on me having the cracked windscreen replaced...hey ho, live and learn. Dan

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Fixing your screen along with whatever else is wrong with the phone will probably cost at least what you still owe on it. Even though the phone isn't that old it isn't worth even £100 on the resale market, and that's for one in good condition. You might want to think about cutting your losses, paying off what you owe, and getting a new phone. Obviously that's a personal opinion. The choice ultimately is yours.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I assume the £150 is for the screen repair?
But either way they will give you a quote which you don't have to accept.
It sounds like your fault is a charge port that is either damaged or dirty.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could contact Samsung directly about a repair & don't use o2 repairs service as they don't exactly have a good reputation

Or you could follow @Bambino advice & pay off your device plan & upgrade to a shiny new phone
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. The £150 is what I have left to pay for the phone unfortunately.

I'll approach Samsung and also see if I can drop it into a local O2 to see exactly what the quote is. I have a couple of enquiries with some local firms and I will also approach Samsung to see what they say.

If it is all too costly then I have nothing to lose and may attempt repair myself as the charge port assembly is only £10 or so and the repair, although quite lengthy, is on Youtube.

Message 5 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I don't think they actually quote you in store @Anonymous. They will send it off to their repairers who will then quote once they've examined the phone. You can then choose whether to let them go ahead with the repair, or if the quote is too high you can ask for the phone to be returned unrepaired. The rest would then be up to you. Good luck whatever you decide to do, and please come back and let us know how you got on.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous if you attempt to do the repair yourself then you will void your warranty

good luck & come back to us with an update 

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thanks will do. I've got a feeling the warranty won't be worth keeping if it can't get my phone working economically. Someone told me that perhaps I should get the screen fixed locally and then send it to O2 although I suspect they would know that had been replaced! I will keep you posted.

Dan

Message 8 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can forget any warranty if you get the screen repaired locally. The manufacturer is your best option. 

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoever told you that @Anonymous was wrong. They'll instantly know the screen has replaced & just send it back to you saying there wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place 

Message 10 of 14