Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qi wireless charging.

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm about to get a Lumia with Qi wireless charging built in, it'll be suppled without a charging pad. I might as well make use of it and ideally I'd like 3 charging pads (Main room, bedroom and work) Just a simple charging pad, not the type that contains a battery.

I quick look at ebay suggests genuine Nokia pads can be had for around £20. However for about £5 an aftermarket unit can be had.

Anyone have any experience of Qi charging? I assume the technology works but does it work when you use a gel case on the phone and do aftermarket units work as efficiently? (They claim to meet the Qi atandard)

Thanks

On a similar topic, I'm currently using a Lumia 925 for which I've just ordered a £5 (ebay, several suppliers all around the same price) a 'genuine' Nokia wireless charging shell. A family member has a 1020 so I thought I'd order one for them, cheapest I can find is £60 !!!! Why the diffence?

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I was sure a while back that very question was asked and the hypothesis was it was maybe possible.

My apologies.
Message 31 of 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

In my own experiences, if you are initially disappointed with a phone it's unlikely to come into favour further along the line. A good honest view of the phone so far though slight_smile

Indeed, and I knew fairly quickly I would end up moving the phone on. I found a new Micro SIM and have now put the 925 back in service. As I live in an area with only 2G coverage I don't know if the data connection is working yet.

Something I mentioned in my 830 Mini Review though was incorrect. I said the screen was not as sensitive (And mentioned 1020 as being the same) This was based on a simple game I play (The only one) called Magnet Balls. The game must have ben updated as the sensitivity on my 925 is now pretty much the same as on the 1020 and 830.

Message 33 of 41

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@tullyhubbert wrote:

Indeed, and I knew fairly quickly I would end up moving the phone on.

Ouch, a cautionary tale!

Listed the phone on ebay yesterday evening, sold this morning on a BIN basis for £225 + £7.15 postage = £332.15 total. Its been quite a while since I sold anything on ebay so didn't really take the potential fees into consideration.

Listing: Free, thats good value.

Reserve price (£200): £7.99 !?!?!?

Final value fee: £22.49 !?!?!?

Final value fee on postage: £0.71 - What the heck, what makes them think its ok to take a % of postage???

Paypal fees: £8.09

So out of £332.15 I had to pay eBay/paypal £39.28 and Royal Mail £7.15 = £46.43

I don't begrudge Royal Mail their money as that was fully insured next day before 1pm special delivery. £7.15 is a good price I thought and what I charged the buyer, what ebay done to take a cut of that annoys me. eBay and Paypal fees are a p$$s take. That said I should read the fees first and on my head be it wink

I almost wish I'd listed it on local Gumtree for sub £200, almost because our local Guntree seems to be inhabited by the countrys lunatics, I'd likely have been offered scalectrix, hair dryers or maybe even a wooden roller mangle in exchange by now!

So ends my rant wink

Message 34 of 41

MI5
  • 144367 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
eBay just takes the pee these days !!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I have never liked Gumtree either, hence my amusement at @tullyhubbert 's last statement LOL

I almost wish I'd listed it on local Gumtree for sub £200, almost because our local Guntree seems to be inhabited by the countrys lunatics, I'd likely have been offered scalectrix, hair dryers or maybe even a wooden roller mangle in exchange by now!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 41

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A happy ending?

The two main reasons I wanted an 830 was the larger screen and Qi wireless charging. I've already said that due to OS limitations I didn't like the enforced 3 medium row layout, moving on however I have to say the Qi wireless charging (Thread title) was fantastic.

I'd previously bought a clip on wireless charging cover for my 925, as said in post #17 it didn't exactly work correcty and cleaning the pins didn't help. Also when the clip on cover was attached it wasn't possible to fit a gel cover, as I have a manual job that's not practical.

So what to do? Well I ended up breaking down the clip on wireless charging cover and removing the Qi wireless charging coil from it. Then I opened my 925 and fitted the charging coil inside the rear cover of the phone. It's a bit fiddly but quite do-able (Google youtube for Lumia 925 wireless charging mod) with some video instruction.

It's working beautifully atm and provided it remains problem free is a great mod and cheap to do. Technically all thats required is a clip on wirless charging shell (eBay £4-£6)

Message 37 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well done you for showing innovation and forward thinking tullyhubbert. 😄
Message 38 of 41

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks bob, it'll grand so long as the phone don't melt or summit ... lol

Any 930 owners reading this? What is the part number for the supplied with phone wireless charging pad? It has a micro usb port to plug a standard charger cable in.

The only standard Nokia chargers (As opposed to ones with batteries inside) I can find is the DT-601. Its hard wired into the pad. I've purchased on of those but as I have several unused chargers and cables it might be more economic and enviromently friendly if I could source the 930 supplied pads.

Thanks.

Message 39 of 41

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@tullyhubbert wrote:

Any 930 owners reading this? What is the part number for the supplied with phone wireless charging pad? It has a micro usb port to plug a standard charger cable in.

Sorted, the 930 is supplied with a DT-601 and doesn't have a micro USB port on the pad. I was confused .... again!

Message 40 of 41