Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qi wireless charging.

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm about to get a Lumia with Qi wireless charging built in, it'll be suppled without a charging pad. I might as well make use of it and ideally I'd like 3 charging pads (Main room, bedroom and work) Just a simple charging pad, not the type that contains a battery.

I quick look at ebay suggests genuine Nokia pads can be had for around £20. However for about £5 an aftermarket unit can be had.

Anyone have any experience of Qi charging? I assume the technology works but does it work when you use a gel case on the phone and do aftermarket units work as efficiently? (They claim to meet the Qi atandard)

Thanks

On a similar topic, I'm currently using a Lumia 925 for which I've just ordered a £5 (ebay, several suppliers all around the same price) a 'genuine' Nokia wireless charging shell. A family member has a 1020 so I thought I'd order one for them, cheapest I can find is £60 !!!! Why the diffence?

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27618 Solutions
You'd be surprised what is sold via ebay (and Amazon etc) that isn't legal to be sold in the UK..... 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 41

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

CE marking can be forged as easily as the brand mark/logo....easier in fact.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 12 of 41

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Probably a wise move to go for genuine or certified.

Would you let us know how you get on ?

When everything turns up I'll report back, with Christmas upon us it might be in the new year now.

Message 13 of 41

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27618 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

CE marking can be forged as easily as the brand mark/logo....easier in fact.

Exactly the problem unfortunately.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tullyhubbert wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Probably a wise move to go for genuine or certified.

Would you let us know how you get on ?

When everything turns up I'll report back, with Christmas upon us it might be in the new year now.

Fair enough. 

Fingers crossed you get them delivered swiftly 😄 

Message 15 of 41

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Beware of buying from unofficial sources such as CEX. Expensive phonrs and copy chargers aren't a good mix.

Message 16 of 41

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Mini review in two parts.

All the stuff arrived before Christmas, well apart from my 830 which is a phone I've really been looking forward to owning. 5", Quad core, 10MP camera, removeable batt, SD expansion slot, whats not to like?

So over Christmas my trusty 925 had a new shell clipped on and the wireless charging is superb ... when it works. Most times I have to ease the shell off and back on again to get the charging to start, must be a bad connection but everything looks clean. I'll give them an alcho wipe some time and try again.

The 830 arrived today, its all set up and the wireless charging works great, its such a great feature. However its not love at first sight and one evening of phone ttinkering leaves me missing my 925 already.

Pros

Removeable batt

Expansion slot

Smooth operation, more so than my 925

Cons

The OS pulls of a strange trick, it actually makes the 5" feel smaller than a 4.5" as it insists that 3 rows of mid size tiles are used on a 5" screen. My 4.5" allows 2 rows and because the phones are the same width the tiles and images within are much bigger.

The LCD screen isn't near the quality of the AMOLED, the blacks are more grey and it's less bright.

The screen isn't as touch sensitive (Actually a 1020 is less touch sens than my 925)

Going to give it a few days but I've a feeling it'lll be a short love affair, tbc.

Message 17 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122796 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@tullyhubbert  This doesn't sound very promising does it? Mind you have only had the phone less than a day so hopefully you will find something more you like when you do the 2nd part of your review wink

Anyway thanks for updating so far. A good honest review...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 41

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

In my own experiences, if you are initially disappointed with a phone it's unlikely to come into favour further along the line. A good honest view of the phone so far though slight_smile

Message 19 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you this far for this part of your review tullyhubbert

You never know it may grow on you.

😄
Message 20 of 41