Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qi wireless charging.

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm about to get a Lumia with Qi wireless charging built in, it'll be suppled without a charging pad. I might as well make use of it and ideally I'd like 3 charging pads (Main room, bedroom and work) Just a simple charging pad, not the type that contains a battery.

I quick look at ebay suggests genuine Nokia pads can be had for around £20. However for about £5 an aftermarket unit can be had.

Anyone have any experience of Qi charging? I assume the technology works but does it work when you use a gel case on the phone and do aftermarket units work as efficiently? (They claim to meet the Qi atandard)

Thanks

On a similar topic, I'm currently using a Lumia 925 for which I've just ordered a £5 (ebay, several suppliers all around the same price) a 'genuine' Nokia wireless charging shell. A family member has a 1020 so I thought I'd order one for them, cheapest I can find is £60 !!!! Why the diffence?

Message 1 of 41
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I am sure there are plenty about and at different prices... though personally I would urge total caution on buying any type of charger that isn't genuine. In my line of work I have seen the after effects of these with massive overheating, devices ruined and people being burned etc etc slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not my area of expertise, but @MI5 , care to comment?

Message 2 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I've seen the official ones in the HighStreet stores CEX.

From what I've read it can depend I how you place these on the plates for the connection to connect too.

All in all good reviews.
Message 3 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I am sure there are plenty about and at different prices... though personally I would urge total caution on buying any type of charger that isn't genuine. In my line of work I have seen the after effects of these with massive overheating, devices ruined and people being burned etc etc slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a Nokia one off t'Bay it failed within a couple of months, £20 wasted! A £3.50 unit from China has a very tempramental connection for the USB cable but it does charge my 930. So overall, I'm not that impressed with wireless charging...I certainly get something cheap and be prepared to chuck it away.

Message 5 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I bought a Nokia one off t'Bay it failed within a couple of months, £20 wasted! A £3.50 unit from China has a very tempramental connection for the USB cable but it does charge my 930. So overall, I'm not that impressed with wireless charging...I certainly get something cheap and be prepared to chuck it away.

I wouldn't recommend getting anything cheap as I said in my previous post...all for the reasons I gave..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 41

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I add my support to what @Cleoriff has said. Trying to save a little on a cheap charger, rather than buying a genuine manufacturer's one can get you burnt.....literally.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As long as the unit you buy is Qi compliant, it will work, but as mentioned, make sure anything you buy of ebay etc is CE marked for safe use in Europe.
Qi charging will work fine with a case on the phone and also as mentioned some do "connect" better than others.
I would suggest you get what you pay for......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 41

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies.

I've ordered a genuine Nokia pad initially, the aftermarket units on ebay all claim to be Qi compliant but none of the listings mention if they are CE rated. Surely no one in the UK would sell non CE kit? wink

Anyhow, I'm very organised. I've ordered an SD card, gel case, screen protectors, charging pad and requested that O2 send me out a Nano SIM. Just a pity the ebay seller I bought the phone from (28 hours ago) hasn't contaced me to acknowledge the sale yet .... grrrr. Seller has 100% feedback so should be fine, or am I just trying to convince myself of that ... lol

Message 9 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Probably a wise move to go for genuine or certified.

Would you let us know how you get on ?
Message 10 of 41