cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puk code

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have blocked my sim and the website is saying it does not have a puk for my number, strange since I have had the same number with O2 for years. There is no one to help at this time can anyone here help? I have a lumia 925

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's always been a bit of an anomaly on the website that certain numbers aren't available. If you have access to My O2 you can find the PUK there.

The only other alternative is to call customer service tomorrow or use online chat when available.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's always been a bit of an anomaly on the website that certain numbers aren't available. If you have access to My O2 you can find the PUK there.

The only other alternative is to call customer service tomorrow or use online chat when available.

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that suggestion I have found the number and am up and running again slight_smile

Message 3 of 13

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Good news. Write the number down, it will always stay the same for that simcard slight_smile

Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Can I ask a question here please?

I know a PUK code is a Pin unlock code relevant to your sim.

As I understand it, you have to type this in EVERY time you turn on your phone?

I see its meant to be an extra security measure...

Surely its only useful if the phone is in your possession? If your phone gets stolen, then I would imagine someone would just put a new sim in it.??

(I suppose what I am really asking is...what is the point of it?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
A PUK is a bit different to a sim PIN.
What you are talking about is a sim PIN which prevents anyone from running up a huge bill on your account if your phone gets lost or stolen.
As you say it won't stop your phone been used but will protect your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Thanks for that explanation:smileyhappy:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

For clarification @Cleoriff the SIM PIN is the pin you need to enter each time you wake your phone, the PUK is a code you need to enter if you've entered the SIM PIN wrongly too many times.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cleoriff  You might also like to see http://www.o2.co.uk/puk/    where you can enter your mobile number and obtain the PUK number for it.

As I have just learned from @MI5 using the PUK will unblock the SIM but the user will still be required to enter any sim pin that has been set.

Gerry

Message 9 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

This is why I prefer using a Phone Lock as a SIM can be easily be removed and if it is like mine and be used on almost any network, the PUK code would be pretty pointless. On the Android platform at least, there is no way to really guess the passcode - you get locked after 5/10 attempts. And since most of us will have our data synchronised with Giggle, any data will be retained remotely even after a user wipe.

Of course, a locked bootloader will prevent any third-party hacking to a certain degree & only those skilled in the ways of Shimi Hackaphoney will be able to do anything about it. Of course, I never realised this was the Nokia forum....umm...yup. Blackberry and Microsoft use different systems and as they're closed source your data should be protected.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 10 of 13