Did you mean: 

Pay & Go Smartphone Phone (under £100) Recommendations

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hi!!

My mother in-law needs a new Pay & Go phone (she currently has a REALLY old Samsung - te flip style ones!! Destroy) and has asked me to recommend something to her!

Personally, I only really know about iPhones and these are out of her price range.  I was looking at the Amazon Fire phone on O2 (its currently on Amazon for £99) however, after watching some lengthy YouTube reviews, the phone seems overly complicated and has far too many features than what she will need. Smiley Frustrated

Therefore, I am back to square one!!!

Can someone recommend anything decent for about £100?

Thanks in advance

slight_smile

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @DinoF,

Let us know what your Mother-in-law goes for slight_smile

will do.

slight_smile

Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another choice could be the Samsung s3 mini as that is around that price
Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

A windows phone sounds a good idea - I had a Lumia 520 before I got my galaxy A3 was was pleasantly surprised by how smooth it was, despite being the bottom of the pile in spec terms.

Message 13 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
My lad has a Lumia 530 and he loves it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 23

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 15 of 23

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Ok, so pretty much decided on one of the Nokia Lumia range - so thanks @jonsie wink

Another quick question : is there really any difference whether I buy it from an O2 shop or off Amazon (think they come unlocked on Amazon - doesn't really matter though as in-law is on O2 anyway!) ?  Only reason I ask is that on Amazon, they seem to stock the full range whereas on O2's website, I can only seem to find a select few Lumias?! Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I've bought from Amazon before and they were fine, unlocked is handy if you might move networks at some stage.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 17 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I know some will be concerned about buying from Amazon. Personally it doesn't bother me. I have in the past bought 4 phones from Amazon with no problem whatsoever. I always look at the dealers rating of course.

Have you looked at Expansys? They are also good...(just a thought)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 23

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Windows phone seems to be much more user friendly than Android, so a good choice.

If your MIL can find another £10 carphone wharehouse are selling the 640 Lumia for £110. Spec ways its well ahead of the 5XX series, 5" 720 screen, Glance, 8MP camera, 2500mah removeable battery, MicroSD expandable storage etc

CPW phopnes are supplied SIM free and with Country Variant firmware. It means when Microsoft push updates (Win 10 e.g) then you wouldn't be dependant on O2 or other operators approving first.

Message 19 of 23

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's ​fine  buying from Amazon,  the problems start when buying from eBay !

Message 20 of 23