O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
anticipation

Re: O2 Boost Box

Overall I found I was limited by the network, even away from my house. Sometimes I would get 3G and then fall to G, just by turning onto another street.
Knowing both my handsets are capable of both 3G and HSDPA, I was a bit disapointed. As I live in a town, you think the service would be a tad betterr than say a country village.
O2 whilst not perfect, usually gives me good data/GPRS signals even at home, so I'm happy at the moment. If I move, this may change however hopefully not.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
camperdown9

Hi
Mobile phone signal is a bit of a strange thing.
I lived to the east of London in a built up commuter belt sorted of area, 15 mins from Liverpool Street. O2 had no 3g signal and little 2g, Vodafone had a few bars of 2g, T-mobile full 3g signal, orange a few bars of both and 3 (in the last few years that I lived there) 2 bars of 3g.
So T-Mobile had the best signal, however walk out of the house and 10 mins up the road. No 2g or 3g signal with T-Mobile at all. In the end the best option for me was Vodafone and a sure signal box for the house. With that I was able to use their 2g signal when out and about and the 3g signal from the femtocell at home.
My parents who live 3 miles outside Belfast could get a full 3g signal with O2, Vodafone and 3. They could never understand why the signal in London was so much weaker.
Now were I live, at least in my house Orange, T-Mobile and 3 have no signal what so ever. O2 have an unusable 3g signal and an ok 2g one. I get a good signal from Vodafone at home buts thats due to the femtocell, out and about its not so great. (I couldn't get a 3g signal in the centre of Canterburry the other day.)
Whats kind of annoying is that from my house I can see a joint O2/Vodafone 3G tower. Its .25 of a mile way. When I asked Vodafone why I couldn't get a signal from it they said that the trees on the golf course thats between me and the tower are enough to break up the signal as 3g signal is very weak. I have also been told that insulation in wall and roofs cause no end of grief with regards to 3g signal.
I guess its sort of makes sense. The networks on the basis of cost must of wanted to switch 2g off years ago and only have one system to support. However thats looks like its never going to happen.
I have just upgraded and am waiting on my new phone today. I am putting my faith in O2 and the app that lets you make calls via wifi. I would rather not have a femotocell sitting in the living room and at last with the app I can use it with any wifi connection rather than just at home.

Alex
iPhone 4s black 16gb (O2), iPhone 4s white 16gb (Vodafone)
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
Proccy

It is 'available' already....however, after trying hard to track it down and finally finding how/where to source one, being quoted £150, guess what......O2 have refused to supply it!!

So now I'm left, presumably like many others, with mobiles on O2 contracts (3 in the case of my household) that are effectively useless as they don't work at my home address, on contracts that I can't get out of, and now whilst I'm willing to pay all over again for a BoostBox to make the service I'm already paying for work, O2 are refusing to let me !!!!

Way to go O2, way to go......

Please use plain text.
longshot

our house has 5 o2 mobile phones and if they dont start selling them by the time my contract runs out (xmas) we are moving to the mobile network that does sell them as we get only 2 bars if we are lucky but 50% of the time no bars we have 2 broardband lines and my brothers on the other network and has one and get perfect signel all the time 

Please use plain text.
ashl3y

Hi all

I turned my Boost Box on 4 days ago and WOW, fantastic it is just brilliant. iPhone now connects via 3g to my bt broadband, don't ask me how it just does.

Couldn't fault it, took it out the box, pluged it in, switched it on and hey presto a mobile phone that works in my home i couldn't be happier.

Just so you know you have to register the numbers you want to be able to use the box. my broadband runs at about 6.5mbps but i think you need 2+

anyone with a dodgy signal this is a must.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
sumantra

where did you it from.customer service refuses to acknowlege it is available. phined them several times

Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

sumantra wrote:

where did you it from.customer service refuses to acknowlege it is available. phined them several times

O2 do not sell these.

Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.4
Please use plain text.
cbm
Level 2: Apprentice
cbm

sumantra wrote:

I spoke to customer service today and was advised that the Boost Box will be launched on 9 July. There is a one off payment of £150 (!!) and no monthly charge. A steep price to pay for improving O2's poor coverage.
Sony Xperia Z
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Nokia Lumia 1020
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

[ Edited ]

That will make a few people happy, if correct, no doubt the price will come down if it's successful.

Call me an old cynic, but I'll have more confidence when there is an official announcement.

Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.4
Please use plain text.
CGRH

Jealous as hell. O2 Customer services/network team or whatever they are called this week still say that the box is not available and that they will advise the 'general public' when it is so. I am stuck in a 2 year contract with a company that is supposed to be cutting edge but: a) actually is unable to give me a solid 2G signal at (not in) my home let alone a 3G one b) has the capability but not the will to resolve the problem via broadband (The O2 boostbox is the same device as the Vodaphone Sure Signal that has been up and running for 2 years) c) has no interest in sorting out a connection problem once you are in a contract d) Plans to charge for the box whereas VP provide it free if their coverage is lacking Just like the banks they live in a parallel universe.
Please use plain text.