O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 1: Joiner
audiodud
Accepted Solution

O2 Boost Box

Is there any news as to when O2 will be releasing their "Boost Box" for improving mobile coverage indoors? I believe they have been "testing", but Vodafone of course have had their Sure Signal available for a couple of years, so I would have thought O2 could have polled some opinion from that user base.
Many thanks
AD
Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 77
Solutions: 24

Re: O2 Boost Box

O2 have the best testing in the industry - it goes on for ever :smileyvery-happy:
Same with their calls over wifi effort 6 months now
To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
audiodud

When you say calls over wifi, is that like Orange Signal Boost where certain phones can log onto a router at home and make/receive calls, or only at O2 hotspots?
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

[ Edited ]
http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2011/11/o2-co ... imple.html o2connect uses any wifi on supported handsets but is still in trial phase.
It works at the moment for calls only not texts.
http://o2labs.co.uk/products/o2-connect.html to request to be on the trial
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 77
Solutions: 24

4 months ago I requested a trial. Got O2 home- phone, O2 Broadband and 3 O2 mobiles in the house. Seems to me it would make a good trial
To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
audiodud

Thank you for that info. The wifi route for improving indoor coverage has always appeared the more logical and low and behold it's an option O2 are trying out. But sometime soon would be good.
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
anticipation

I refused to pay £50 for a surebox which also uses your internet bandwidth to boost your service. Essentially it gets used as some sort of antenna which uses your internet bandwidth, isn't that what you pay for your mobile for?
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
camperdown9

Yes of course it is. However there are always going to be parts of the UK were the mobile signal from one or all mobile networks is going to be limited.
If its a choice between paying £50 for a femtocell or no signal, I'd pay the £50. However I would prefer to have the app that lets me make calls via any wifi connection. Two reason. 1. Its works with any wifi connect, both at home and overseas. 2. Its not another box sitting on the floor in the living room.
Alex
iPhone 4s black 16gb (O2), iPhone 4s white 16gb (Vodafone)
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
anticipation

Hopefully 4G will bring LTE and Wi-Max coverage, so lack of coverage should be less of a problem.
Please use plain text.
audiodud

I refused to pay £50 for a surebox which also uses your internet bandwidth to boost your service. Essentially it gets used as some sort of antenna which uses your internet bandwidth, isn't that what you pay for your mobile for?

I am on Vodafone at the moment and in all fairness to them, I used this argument and they gave me the box for free, and they have even recently updated it to a newer version for nothing. But I am waiting for O2 to get whichever system they plump for on stream, and seeing as I use them for home phone and broadband, it makes sense to move the mobile over as well.
Incidentally, the Sure Signal tends to work well for periods of some weeks, and then it decides to become flakey and erratic for a few days until Vodafone sort it out with some black magic. Also, it is not a free for all cell site as some people think, you have to register up to four phones in order to use it. So all your neighbours on Vodafone are not able download music & films onto their phones using your internet connection.
Please use plain text.