cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal sms converted in to mms when sent as a group message

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just end up with a fat charge because I sent a short sms as group message to around 30 people, my iPhone apparently converted in to mms, 02 charged me, I don't know why 02 allow that, I am going to complain to Ombdusman, this shouldn't happen.
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a matter of interest (and I hope I am not straying too far OT) I searched O2 website to see if I could find a definition of SMS especially as to the maximum number of characters a text message may contain.  Finding nothing helpful I went on to Live Chat and was informed that that information is  " .... not available on our website as it's universally available, it's same with all service provider and with phone manufacturure."   

I do not know enough about the technological aspects but I find it hard to believe that there are any hardware or software reasons why a SMS may NOT contain more than 160 characters.  If that is true then why have phone manufacturers and/or service providers not used this to make their phones/service more attractive to customers?  Is there some sort of cartel or other commercial agreement covering all the players?

Message 11 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous again an excellent post.

SMS have always been 160 characters. In the early days many phones "split" longer messages. Indeed I remember sending one that was 1600 characters and my phone split it into texts.

However of late as phones and software have developed there is generally a limit of 480 characters (3 text split) before it becomes what is known as a long text and as such chargeable as an MMS.

I don't think you went off topic at all and was an excellent post.
Message 12 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Just as a matter of interest (and I hope I am not straying too far OT) I searched O2 website to see if I could find a definition of SMS especially as to the maximum number of characters a text message may contain.  Finding nothing helpful I went on to Live Chat and was informed that that information is  " .... not available on our website as it's universally available, it's same with all service provider and with phone manufacturure."   

I do not know enough about the technological aspects but I find it hard to believe that there are any hardware or software reasons why a SMS may NOT contain more than 160 characters.  If that is true then why have phone manufacturers and/or service providers not used this to make their phones/service more attractive to customers?  Is there some sort of cartel or other commercial agreement covering all the players?

Very good point @Anonymous  I think personally that the reason they stick to a set number of characters, is so they can charge customers over the odds when they stray from the path...Evil

Then, of course, they make a large profit at our expense?...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 52

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It is actually due to the limitations of SMS/MMS service.
Remember these were introduced back in 1992 and by definition "short message service" only intended for short messages.
EMS (enhanced message service) was introduced to try and overcome this but never took off because by that time people had moved to email as mainstream and now there are many other applications (whatsapp, BBM etc) that can handle "enhanced messages" over a data connection and not relying solely on a 2g network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Remember these were introduced back in 1992 and by definition "short message service" only intended for short messages.
EMS (enhanced message service) was introduced to try and overcome this but never took off because by that time people had moved to email as mainstream and now there are many other applications (whatsapp, BBM etc) that can handle "enhanced messages" over a data connection and not relying solely on a 2g network.

And thank you for sharing that....I never knew...and now I do....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Makes one wonder what is the difference (from O2's perspective) between allowing unlimited SMS of 160 characters  and offering a specified number (say 20,000) texts of double or triple the number of characters?

But with an average monthly text usage around 200 I have to  wonder even more why bother asking such questions?  Smiley Surprised   Perhaps I should be reviewing my tariff instead!   

Message 16 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not know enough about the technological aspects but I find it hard to believe that there are any hardware or software reasons why a SMS may NOT contain more than 160 characters.  If that is true 

Very good point @Anonymous  I think personally that the reason they stick to a set number of characters, is so they can charge customers over the odds when they stray from the path...Evil

Then, of course, they make a large profit at our expense?...:smileysad:

A mobile network making a large profit at our expense? Who would ever have thought we would see the day? 

But I do remember in the past sensing sms that were between 7 and 10 x 160 characters and I wasn't charged for them. Then in came what I recall were "long text messages" that were charged (by vodafone) at 15p each. 

Message 17 of 52

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In the past before smart phones, all sms no matter the length, we're sent as multiple sms of 160 characters,

Ie. A 1000 character text was sent as 7 texts. 

6 x 160

1 x 40

Message 18 of 52

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There was a time when the phone would stop you from entering anymore than 160 characters, then it got extended to 480 before text input was prevented and now you can sens the entire volume of war and peace slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There was a time when the phone would stop you from entering anymore than 160 characters, then it got extended to 480 before text input was prevented and now you can sens the entire volume of war and peace slight_smile

At a cost to you of course.....unless you are on Unlimited....?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 52