cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia windows phone- voicemail notification (or lack of)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I've recently got a new pay monthly Nokia Lumia 520 windows phone. So far so good (in fact I really like the phone) but have noticed today that I had loads of voicemails but no notification.

I've googled to no avail, with some suggesting that this is a software problem. However upon contacting O2 customer services they tell me that I have to choose missed call notification or voicemail notification- there is no way that I can have both.

Now I don't doubt that this information is correct. This just seems completely crazy that all of my previous phones told me that I had a missed call and furthermore I'd get a text telling me that I had a voicemail (plus the symbol on my home screen).

Is this some kind of fundamental flaw with a windows phone? Apparently if I turn on voicemail notification O2 will have to turn off missed call notification, resulting in me having no idea whether anyone has called me or not...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I saw that thread. O2 tell me that this just the way it is with all windows phones, and were surprised that somehow my old blackberry managed to tell me that I had a voicemail. I thought this was a fundamental feature of a mobile phone??
Message 3 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Maybe that's one of the reasons why Windows phones are the poor relation in comparison to Android and iPhones.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
My windows phone shows me a number in the VM button depending on how many messages I have.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't believe there is no indicator that's a basic function of any phone surely
Message 6 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Can't say for a Nokia 520 but definitely on my Sammy.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the benefit of anyone that has this problem...

Firstly the O2 chat people are utter planks- this is not a failing with windows phones as the first advisor suggested, and there is no choice that I have to make with receiving missed call notifications or voicemails. What he was referring to was the sms service that O2 do re: missed call alerts. Basically he told me that if I choose voicemail notifications to be switched on, the I would receive absolutely no record on my phone that anyone had called me and I missed it whether it was switched on or off- utter tosh but when I questioned this he was adamant that this was the case- scary. Second advisor was slightly better but still couldn't come up with a solution.

The solution is that I called 901, pressed * to go into settings and switched back on my sms notifications when I get a voicemail- simples. This was provided by someone in my local o2 shop, and re: lack of symbol on the phone she didn't know but was happy to set up an appt for me to come back in if this was bothering me. To be honest, I'm happy with the sms alert as a workaround.

The lack of symbol seems to be a specific fault with the Lumia 520, which at the moment there doesn't seem to be a solution

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is a notification , you have to go to settings / application tab / phone/ change from use default voicemail number and enter 901 in the box , and it shows u when you get a voicemail 

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't work for me, or my other halfs 520 either..

Message 10 of 11