O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Other Devices (Nokia, Blackberry, etc)

Level 1: Joiner
mlipm

Nokia E71 and WiFi

I have just taken on a Nokia E71. From day 1 I haven't been able to connect to my home wifi or to free wifi places like at McDonalds. The phone searches and finds the networks but when I try to connect it rejects the request. O2 customer services have told me I need to have a £12 per month bolt on for wifi access to work. I can't believe I need to pay to access my own network. Surely this is just using the technology built into the phone the same as Bluetooth and doesn't use a mobile connection at all. I can understand needing to pay to connect via third party providers like BT open zone etc, but surely not in my own home!!. Have o2 got it wrong and is there some other problem with the phone or do I really have to pay £12 per month to connect via my own system?
Please use plain text.
Level 9: Fired up
Anonymous

Nokia E71 and WiFi

Hi, I think you are experiencing the nightmare of Network Locked phones

To stop you taking advantage of them the networks have their own slightly modified versions of the operating software installed on the phones they supply, This is how come it says O2 when you turn it on and how it automatically knows which provider to access the internet through if you do it through HSDPA etc.

Luckily for you The Nokia E71 is a Symbian phone which means you can "debrand" it and gain access to the phone's full functionality.

You may have to unlock it first but that shouldn't be a problem

Google:
"Sim Unlock Nokia E71" or similar
and
"Debrand Nokia E71" or similar

You should find everything you need there, I did it to my N95 8GB and i can do everything, i even got sat nav for free as well!!
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
bugfreeit

Nokia E71 and WiFi

I'm using an E71 and have not had any wi-fi related problems. As long as you enter any required WEP or WPA info etc if prompted for security pass on a network then you should be fine. For home or work networks you do not need to pay O2, it's just a standard wi-fi connection. O2's wi-fi hotspots can be accessed as a £7.50 monthly bolt on.

I am pretty sure that the actual reason you cannot access the wi-fi networks is because you have not got a homepage entered into the wi-fi settings correctly. Edit the settings for wi-fi only and put http://www.google.com as the homepage for example and then try again.

I'm sure that will be the answer as I had to do the same for mine :smileyvery-happy:

Steve
Please use plain text.
mlipm

E71 wifi

Steve

Many thanks for your suggestion. Entered this is and bingo connected straight away. I though the o2 people were talking out of there hats. What use would a wireless connection be if you can't connect to your own system! Do you know what happens when you go to a new wireless network say in McDonalds or Starbucks. Do you have to enter a home page again before it will connect? Again many many thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Just need to sort out the e mail now....should be fun.

Mick
Please use plain text.
bugfreeit

Re: E71 wifi

Steve
Many thanks for your suggestion. Entered this is and bingo connected straight away. I though the o2 people were talking out of there hats. What use would a wireless connection be if you can't connect to your own system! Do you know what happens when you go to a new wireless network say in McDonalds or Starbucks. Do you have to enter a home page again before it will connect? Again many many thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Just need to sort out the e mail now....should be fun.
Mick

I'm pleased I was able to be of help.

You will not need to enter a new homepage for a different wi-fi connection, it will always use the same homepage that you have now entered, so it will always connect fine.

Email should be straight forward to set up. I use the standard Nokia pop email program on the E71 and set to auto check for new email every 30 mins.

You can also add the new Nokia Messaging email although after a while of using it my handset crashed and was a nightmare to get working again so for now i'm sticking with the standard built in Nokia email as it works spot on for me.

Steve
Please use plain text.
melle_escaton

Nokia E71 and WiFi

Steve, thank you so much for this!!! I've just received my new E71 from O2 and have been pulling my hair out thinking that the phone that I was locked into for 18 months doesn't even work ... I couldn't connect to our home wifi in exactly the same way as other people here, and putting in a home page immediately solved the problem!! This must be something that O2 have done wrong to the software, deleting the home page or something...
My husband bought a similar phone (E51) sim-free, and that came with the home page preset to the Nokia webpage - and predictably, that had no trouble connecting to the wifi straight away.
Anyway, thanks again and I hope everyone with this problem stumbles across this thread like I did (thank you, Google search...).

Andreea
Please use plain text.
bugfreeit

Nokia E71 and WiFi

Steve, thank you so much for this!!! I've just received my new E71 from O2 and have been pulling my hair out thinking that the phone that I was locked into for 18 months doesn't even work ... I couldn't connect to our home wifi in exactly the same way as other people here, and putting in a home page immediately solved the problem!! This must be something that O2 have done wrong to the software, deleting the home page or something...
My husband bought a similar phone (E51) sim-free, and that came with the home page preset to the Nokia webpage - and predictably, that had no trouble connecting to the wifi straight away.
Anyway, thanks again and I hope everyone with this problem stumbles across this thread like I did (thank you, Google search...).
Andreea

I'm pleased my info was helpful for you :smileyhappy:

Steve
Please use plain text.
Level 4: Observant
Peppers

Nokia E71 and WiFi

Hi,

I have an N82 that I want to use the Nokia built in email program with, I have the unlimited Web Bolt On and want to know if I set up my o2 email account on my phone, do I get charged to send receive with it? I've been told MMS rates apply?

Thanks,

Peppers.

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:
iPhone 3GS 16GB In Black £20 Simplicity + Unlimited Web Bolt On
20" iMac
Nokia N82,
Please use plain text.
bugfreeit

Nokia E71 and WiFi

Hi,
I have an N82 that I want to use the Nokia built in email program with, I have the unlimited Web Bolt On and want to know if I set up my o2 email account on my phone, do I get charged to send receive with it? I've been told MMS rates apply?
Thanks,
Peppers.

If you have got 'unlimited web' you can send/receive emails as part of the bolt on, so no charges.

Steve
Please use plain text.
Level 4: Observant
Peppers

Nokia E71 and WiFi

Hi,
Thanks,
Peppers.

If you have got 'unlimited web' you can send/receive emails as part of the bolt on, so no charges.
Steve

Does that mean sending as well? Via an o2 email address?? Any tips on how I can set up the built in e mail app on the N82?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Peppers.
iPhone 3GS 16GB In Black £20 Simplicity + Unlimited Web Bolt On
20" iMac
Nokia N82,
Please use plain text.