cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 930 - incoming calls go straight to voicemail; can't call out. Sometimes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I bought a Nokia 930 just under a fortnight ago from CPW. They inserted the sim card.

It's a new contract with O2 but not my first or only contract with O2.

3 times now in the 12 days I've had it, the phone has started sending incoming calls straight to voicemail - I only know there's been a call when I get the notification.

At the same time, I then cannot make outgoing calls.

This is only solved by removing and reinserting the sim, then restarting the phone.

Has anyone any ideas what it might be? I don't know if it's a phone issue or an O2 issue, because I don't know enough to know. Livechat is not available today.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 37
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, success!

Drove a few miles out of town to a mall CPW, where I know it's less frantic than my city branch.

Met by an assistant who, on hearing I had a faulty phone, told me that they no had geek, he on holiday for two weeks. Happily, before the steam out of my ears began to be too obvious, she passed me to someone whose native language was English, and could therefore understand enough of my poor explanation about a little extra thingy that comes out of the phone when I take the sim card out. He went straight for an exchange, put my sim card from the old phone into the new, less than 5 minutes.

So, no credit at all to O2 - apart from you kind voluntary people ! - but lots of credit to CPW.

(I'll be Sooo Embarrassed if it's the sim that's wrong after allllll)

Thank you grin

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Sounds like phone is dropping the signal and not reconnecting.
This has been a problem reported with WP software but it's only occasional - certainly not a prevailing issue.
It would be worth speaking to CPW as they will exchange the phone if faulty under 30 days, then at least you have eliminated that from the problem.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick suggestions.

On the straight to voicemail issue, it's intermittent; it has a normal length ring when it works.

On the dialling out issue, the screen says "dialling" but nothing happens, and there's no sound

Thanks for trying. slight_smile

Message 4 of 37

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
NO worries - I don't think it's a VM issue at all.. It sounds more like a signal drop.
If it persists you can try a sim swap - Any O2 shop can do this for you quickly and easily, for free.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, that sounds optimistic, thank you. Would I have to get a new number? slight_smile
Message 6 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
No they transfer your tariff and mobile number from the old sim to a new one. Any O2 shop can do this.

As a process of elimination I believe it's worth trying out different avenues.
Message 7 of 37

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

No they would trasnsfer your number and tariff to a new sim. Bear in mind you would need to copy any phone numbers stored on the old sim to the phone beforehand.

Message 8 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. At that very moment livechat came back. There's an hour of my life I won't see again. I'm not convinced they understood, kept trying to turn my voicemail off, told me I hadn't typed in various codes right (I had) and are now sending me a new sim. I should have listened to you guys and gone to a shop.

Oh, one thing he had me do was to press the down volume and power key simultaneously. I asked him what that did. He said it would fix the problem. All it's done is make the date and time wrong, and now I can't receive texts, which I could before. They come in as notifications but they don't show up in the message thread.

What kind of a reset has he had me do, please?

Message 9 of 37

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It's a soft reset which should not delete any files but has probably reset some settings.
Just try rebooting the phone to see if it goes back to how it was.
Once you receive the new sim from live chat you will need to do a sim swap, but make sure they have sent you the correct sim for your account type.
http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Currently using:
Message 10 of 37