cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 930 concerns.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I got my 930 yesterday and have the following concerns.

Battery charging.  Left overnight on the wireless charger and this morning phone is at 36% battery.  I have now had it on USB charge for over an hour and it has charged to 55%.  Is this normal / usual or this a faulty handset?

Cortana.  There is no Cortana....should there be?

No ability to "folder" files.  Think this is called live tiles and was included in one of the 8.1 updates.  Do we have that update?  Are both of the above due to the UK not having the latest version yet and will this be added?

Cortana and ability to folder tiles I can wait for (if they are coming) but charging problems are going to send me scuttling to the post office with my returns label.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

The wireless charger take's longer to charge the phone.

You need to remember to line the handset up correctly & also the charger will stop if it senses the phone getting to hot, it should restart once everything cools down.

I have my wireless charger at work on my desk, I normally use the mains charger when at home.

The 930 does take a few discharge / charge cycles to get its full battery life.

Also be carefull what apps you allow to run in the background, some people have moaned about awful battery life only to find a app they have installed was running in background & eating all the life out the battery.

A lot of the 930 threads moaning about poor battery life are down to the person installing apps / setting the phone up incorrectly.

Mine lasts between 24 & 36 hours between charges.

Lumia Denim update is due before the end of 2014, this will bring even more good features to 930 & other Lumia devices.

Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou all for the excellent and useful comments.  The phone does indeed appear to need cycling thru a few charges as the speed is now much better on both plug and wireless.

I was unaware of upgrade 1 and just assumed that Cortana was part of 8.1.  I assume the 930 will be getting it in time?  Doesnt really make sense if not as it is both Nokias and Windows Phones "flagship" device.   I hope so as to be honest it was one of the features that attracted me to switch from Android.

Actual battery life and discharge level appear to be perfectly reasonable as Ive had chance to use it quite a bit today and it certainly wasnt discharging alarmingly fast...so hopefully all is well with the world!  As long as they bring that Upgrade 1 soon of course.

Thanks for the assistance...much appreciated.

Message 12 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You seem happier with it now, which is the important thing... Hope it goes OK from now on for you slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your update.

Fingers crossed from this point for you. slight_smile
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I'm one of those people that ponder for days about which phone to get come upgrade time and read all the reviews and technical comparisons etc etc.  So its a bit disappointing to find that certain things arent actually on your phone...but hey I can wait. slight_smile

Loving the actual Windows OS...took a little getting used to mind.  But its very slick and speedy I'll give it that.  Now I just want my little imaginary personal assistant to chat with when I'm bored.  Sad I know.

Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Now I just want my little imaginary personal assistant to chat with when I'm bored.  Sad I know.

Only issue I have with UK Cortana is we get stuck with the posh totty voice & not Jen Taylor.

A couple of friends of mine both with I Phones have tried out Cortana on my 930 & they have both been impressed it with as it showed up Siri.

The upcoming Lumia Denim update is going to enhance Cortana even more wink

Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI: Microsoft have today pushed out update 1 for Lumia 930's.

Latest firmware version is: 14353 which is Cyan 8.1.1.

Cortana is now officially available to UK Lumia 930 owners slight_smile

If your currently running the Preview for Developer version on your 930, you need to untick it & then check for update again.

The big Denim update is still due to roll out before the end of 2014.

Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I being a muppet?

I've a 930 and the 8.1 update hasn't landed for me yet. 

OS 8.10.12397.895

Firmware 02061.00066.14252.51002

Perhaps I should have gone SIM free.

Message 18 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
According to this post by O2 http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Cortana-amp-Windows-Phone-8-1-Update-1/m... it is still in testing.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm still in my 14d period. I have the flickering screen in 2G issue which I believe is a device issue that is unlikely to go with a phone swap. Any thoughts or advice?
Message 20 of 21