cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 515 - a basic text question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible, when sending a text message, to know if & when the text message has been received & read by the recipient

Is it possible when making a call, to a mobile phone number = getting a constant ringing tone in reply to say whether the recipient has eg changed their mobile number or say well it used to be called 'left their phone off the hook) ..... maybe got a new mobile phone with a different number on ..... didn't go to voicemail ie just went on ringing & ringing ..... or switched their mobile off ..... or something else ..... this is to a near family member & not a commercial call

any help would be greatly appreciated 

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

*0# then a space before the text will get you a delivery report.

O2 don't normally provide them as part of the service.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
With regards to text you can set your phone to have delivery reports so you know when the recipient gets the text.
Message 2 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

*0# then a space before the text will get you a delivery report.

O2 don't normally provide them as part of the service.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
For a delivery report from O2 you need to start each text with *#0 (and leave a space before starting test message)
ie
*#0 Hi Jane......
Constant ringing could mean that voicemail has been switched off or on some networks, strangely, if a phone has no signal, it will just ring and ring too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
With regards to text you can set your phone to have delivery reports so you know when the recipient gets the text.

thank you for replying @Anonymous 

could you please explain more, in a simple way, as I am a tech novice slight_smile

Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can start a text message with *0# immediately before the message. This will tell you that the message has been delivered. It won't tell you however that the recipient has read the message.

With calls there are only a couple of hints. If a phone just continues ringing then the other person is not answering and doesn't have voicemail activated and you will eventually just get disconnected from the call. It could also mean that the receiver has blocked your number.

If you get 'your call cannot be connected, please try later' then the phone is switched off. If you get a continuous drone then the number has been disconnected.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell if a person has changerd their number.

Message 6 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This guide for how to set up delivery reports should help you:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=164603&CURRENT...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @perksie & @MI5 could you both please liaise with each other & confirm which way round the zero comes in the formula ie *#0 or is it *0# .....

I hope I'm making sense here

thank you both for your informative replies slight_smile

Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

It could also mean that the receiver has blocked your number.

If you get 'your call cannot be connected, please try later' then the phone is switched off. If you get a continuous drone then the number has been disconnected.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell if a person has changerd their number.

thanks jonsie for the information ..... even though your information saddens me slight_frown

Message 10 of 16