cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1020 has died

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only had it since the end of May and it seems dead.  Went to use it and it was turned off, so plugged it in to the mains charger - no response, plugged it in to the laptop - no response. 

Anyone else had a 1020 die so soon??

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144333 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I might be willing to give this phone another try simply because of the quality of the camera, but if this happens again, I'll be terminating the contract.

Just be aware that the only way you can terminate your contract is by paying the full contracted amount. You won't get away for free because of a phone issue.

I'd be interested to know if either of you two with the issue had done a hard reset after updating to 8.1?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, if I buy a mobile phone that does not work, I can walk away from the contract (subject to returning the device).  If the phone is defective, it becomes a CCA issue in terms of cancelation and an SGA issue in terms of repair/replacement (fit for purpose).

Sorry, are you trying to say that if my phone is broken I just have to live with it and continue to pay for a duff phone? This is not how contracts regulated by the CCA operate. Lender is jointly liable.

All I was able to do was the power button + volule rocker trick (which I believe is a soft reset).  I have not been advised by O2 to attempt a hard reset.  I think this is what the repair centre did.

Message 12 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten...

If the phone has "died" then if purchased from O2 and under 14 dats old take it back for a replacement but if over 14 days old you can send it off with O2 repairs by dropping it off at your local O2 store or book it in with a Nokia Care Centre - some carphone warehouses have them.

Nokia Care Centres : http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/care-point/

A faulty phone does not warrant a contract cancellation.
Message 13 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you clarify whether you work for or on behalf of O2?  Please only respond to the rest of this if you have authority to speak on behalf of O2.

What if O2 is unable to repair the phone?  How many times am I expected to send the phone off for repair and what would be done to compensate me for the time I am without a phone but paying for it?

I find it troubling that you seem to be implying that I should be expected to pay for a product that is not functioning. The contract for the phone is a straight loan governed by the CCA. If a good is faulty under a consumer credit agreement, the creditor is liable. I understand that O2 may take a dim view of this, however, we will have to agree to disagree on this point. To be honest, the ‘legal advice/company line of O2’ by the ‘scholar’ is not only incorrect but also laden with grammatical and punctuation errors. I do have a problem being lectured on law by a person who does not know how to use an apostrophe.

“So in brief if you have a faulty handset and want a good level of service use the manufacturers (sic) warranty as it offers the highest level of protection for the consumer.”

“But after 6 month that proof moves to you and could involve getting an engineers (sic) report and cost you.”

The above positions are absurd. I have no idea why you are directing me to this highly misleading ‘advice’ page but is the author really saying that expert evidence would be required for a small claims track case? I do believe this is why ‘lol’ was coined.

In summary, yes, a replacement or cancellation is absolutely reasonable.

As I mentioned above, please only reply is you work for or on behalf of O2 and have authority to settle this matter as I am getting the feel that this will end badly.

Message 14 of 33

MI5
  • 144333 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
We'll leave you to it then as you know everything already.... Bon chance mon ami....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok kai101 ~ to clarify.

This is a user to user community forum.

We are all Customers here who help and assist from experience and knowledge gained through the years.

Therefore as you have entered a community forum which I Must assume your aware of after taking note of the forum guidelines http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Community-Guidelines/m-p/487846#U487846 then please refrain from advising me when I can or cannot reply.

This forum has moderators and three O2 site managers.

If you want official O2 clarification and advice then please contact customer services here http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

To help :

If a phone is sent away by O2 for a repair for the same fault x3 times then they typically replace the handset.

To make an official Compliant follow this link http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

Take care.
Message 16 of 33

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I reckon any advice, given with good intentions, is going to help the gentleman who seems to know his consumer rights so perhaps best to leave him to get on with it and wish him good luck.

Message 17 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
As this is the thread of fast_guy we really should reply to them and
Not Let their thread be hi jacked.

The other OP seems to have self resolved their own issue and requires no further assistance.
Message 18 of 33

MI5
  • 144333 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I'll respond with further assistance if fast_guy returns but otherwise there;s no further point adding any padding to the thread.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed.
Message 20 of 33