cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1020 has died

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only had it since the end of May and it seems dead.  Went to use it and it was turned off, so plugged it in to the mains charger - no response, plugged it in to the laptop - no response. 

Anyone else had a 1020 die so soon??

Message 1 of 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did a bit of searching on the Nokia site and found out to try a soft reset and it worked.

For those that don't know about the soft reset (like I didn't)  Hold the "down volume" button and "power" buttons together until the phone vibrates - about 8-10seconds

So why did I have to do this?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It can happen to any phone.
Your warranty will cover it providing it's not been dropped or abused.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
We would advise against going via O2 repairs instead go via the manufacturer
Message 3 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did a bit of searching on the Nokia site and found out to try a soft reset and it worked.

For those that don't know about the soft reset (like I didn't)  Hold the "down volume" button and "power" buttons together until the phone vibrates - about 8-10seconds

So why did I have to do this?

Message 4 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had exactly the same problem last week.  Soft reset would not work so I had to send it away to O2 for repair.  Came back in working order after 4 days (no apology, compensation or even an explanation of the fault from O2) only for the phone to develop the same fault this evening.  This time, however, the soft reset worked.

I'll be contacting O2 tomorrow to advise them of this.  I do very much like the camera and the OS but I've never had a phone fail on me this way before; possibly because I have hitherto always bought high end phones?  I rather suspect that this phone is developing these faults because it is a relatively cheap phone.  I did install Windows 8.1 about a week or so prior to the fault developing.  Unlikely that would be the cause but it does make me ask whether you had recently installed 8.1 as well?  The helpful note on the repair sheet informed me that the technician updated all my software, presumably from 8.1 to..  8.1. 

I might be willing to give this phone another try simply because of the quality of the camera, but if this happens again, I'll be terminating the contract.

Message 5 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, 8.1 installed last week.

It might be a cheap(er) phone now but it was £600 a few months back so definitely high end.
Message 6 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know it was £600, interesting.  Even more interesting that these problems started happening to both our phones shortly after 8.1.

I hope someone from O2 can fix this issue because while the camera is outstanding, we need to be able to rely on a phone.

Message 7 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad it's sorted for now at least slight_smile
Message 8 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Im glad your issue was resolved by your own solution.

To add when a phone does not appear to work its also an idea to try an alternative data cable and charging plug just in case.

Sorry to hear of the software issues your both experiencing and hopefully if its a bug most are having then Nokia will address this and push out a fix asap.

Message 9 of 33

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I was going to suggest the hard reset but also download Nokia Recovery Tool. That thing can repair any software problems slight_smile 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 10 of 33