cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Internet settings Jolla/Sailfish OS

Anonymous
Not applicable
HI Folks, Just picked up a new micro sim the other day for my new phone which is a Jolla running Sailfish OS, all's well except mobile net: MMS settings are: 02 MMS prepay, AP name payandgo.o2.co.uk, user/pass filled in by them, proxy 193.113.200.195/port 8080 MMS message centre //mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 It was already selected as prefer 4G - sent a text to 2020 but it didn't work and told me to ring C/S....... anyone have any suggestions or will this be down to o2 needing to enable it remotely ??
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank You so much for your insights. slight_smile

I had already looked at the specs and online pieces on it but I find it more helpful sometimes to get a persons own street review of it.

I used to win a Nokia 900 that was as open source as the manufacturer could make it but unfortunately that was its downfall as people nor doing their homework were downloading all sorts and then wondering why issues happened with it.

Good luck with your pending issue.
Message 11 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It's an interesting device and an OS that I expect we will see more of in the future....
I wonder if O2 are looking at any specific development for it at all.....???
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome,

I get the impression that an awful lot of former/present Nokia fans are right behind this in many ways, my first impressions of the looks made me think it was a Nokia but I never owned an N900 or similar, in fact no Nokia since the 3330's lol, but they were great at the time!

It's really growing on me, fast, I love how quick you can stop everything when you just want to get on with something else, with one swipe, brilliant. Made a few calls, call quality's superb.

Battery seems on par/erring on better than my android, I've been out today fishing and played a few hours on headphones with some podcasts and a couple of albums, fiddled around on facebook, sent a few texts, tooka bunch of pictures and fiddled with it a bit, even caught some fish! It held up all day and was down to 35% charge when I got home, I felt happy with that as a benchmark.

Trying to swipe my android now when I pick it up, which hasn't been often lately  . . .  I can see me using it to experiment on flashing roms!

I have no idea if O2 will start some sort of official support, when I phoned customer sevices I had to spell the name for them, on two occasions . . . . one thought it was called a Yolo, the other one a Yeller, unless that was down to my accent ! I imagine at some point they'll have to offer some sort of support, I know I'm not the only one with one in the UK, end of the day it's a script change or setting that will fix it, I'll get there, just not been around today to try more due to my fishing trip!

Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.

I really liked the n900 but as I said when a person realised they could easily toggle on a setting to download other open source software they sometimes ran into trouble.

I'm not confident they would stock the handset you have due to it not really being mainstream ,and the nature of the operating system.

Heck they don't / won't stock Blackberries right now !

Enjoy the angling. slight_smile
Message 14 of 23

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'm sure with a bit of experimentation you will find the right combo of settings - You can then do a guide for others slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 23

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 16 of 23

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You took the words out of my mouth BoB. I can't see O2 supporting Jolla at all unless they improve their support of Windows and BlackBerry.

I guess the same would apply to the Firefox phones too.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

bandofbrothers wrote:

Wow, what's that all about, I still have a curve I got off O2, but not wanting another blackberry I've never  looked at their site on any regular basis, it's all a bit poor really, it's just a bunch of bloody config files at the end of the day - I had a brainwave waking up this morning lol  . . . . .

I'm going to put the giffgaff sim in and see if I can find the right network config file and copy it to my desktop, then I'll pop the O2 sim in, do the same, compare the difference, or at least that's how it plans out in my head, I'll try and get someone to confirm this will work if poss before trying it tho, I normally save script hacks for fiddling with a spare laptop that I don't mind totalling and experimenting on!

Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my god I feel such a derp  . . . . . . . . 

Long story short, went to the O2 shop to ask them to try another sim for me or swap my sim over, the guy tested the sim in another phone, worked fine, at this point I couldn't even get a text thru to it thru mucking with the mms settings, more of that later  . . . . lol. . . . 

Soooooo after a good 15 minutes of this poor guy scratching his head, he says (I laughed to myself at the mention of the name lol) 'Do you want to see the O2 GURU' ??

How could I resist . . . . .  onr guru later I was no better off but surprised how quickly the guy found his way around thye phone depsite never having seen one before, obviously why he's a guru and I'm not wink  . . . lol

So. . . . .  he says ...... where's the menu for changing the network settings?

I replied - that's it there  - settings and MMS access point.

No he says, that's just for sms and mms

Oh says me, well that's the only place I can find? I thought they'd put all the settings in one place?

No he says, they should be like this, and proceeds to whip out a sony experia and show me the interwebs department  . . . . . . 

So, I scratched my head and he scratched his, he said 'I'm sorry but I'm not sure if I can help you' and with that, I thanked him for his time, and headed off to the car  . . . . . . 

Then I got home and thought, where the bloody hell is THAT SODDING MENU! 

At which point, after a cup of coffee and 5 minutes of fiddling around. . . . . .  If you've not already guessed by now  . . . . . . . . . 

I LONG PRESSED ON MOBILE INTERNET and discovered a whole new, until that point, undiscovered menu, I never knew existed. . . . . . Astounded

So there you have it folks, the lesson learned is that classic RTFM lol  . . . . . .  or to quote Jolla's website where the gem of a lightbulb came from . . . .

You configure this in Settings | System | Connectivity - Mobile Network.

Maybe they could add 'Long press fopr drop down menu' to save someone having a really derp day like I did !
I shall mark this as 'solved' wink
Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your update.

Just goes to show every day is a school day. slight_smile
Message 20 of 23