cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Internet settings Jolla/Sailfish OS

Anonymous
Not applicable
HI Folks, Just picked up a new micro sim the other day for my new phone which is a Jolla running Sailfish OS, all's well except mobile net: MMS settings are: 02 MMS prepay, AP name payandgo.o2.co.uk, user/pass filled in by them, proxy 193.113.200.195/port 8080 MMS message centre //mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 It was already selected as prefer 4G - sent a text to 2020 but it didn't work and told me to ring C/S....... anyone have any suggestions or will this be down to o2 needing to enable it remotely ??
Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bandofbrothers: Forgive me for going slightly off topic but how do you find the Sailfish Os and the phone ? I've not come across anyone using them. :smileyhappy:

TLDR: So far so good, apart from mobile internet lol!

Being Linux Mint/LMDE/SolydX user and tinkerer, (but by no means a guru!) the Jolla got my attention when I started reading about Sailfish OS some time ago, the freedom to own my device and tinker with it as I see fit appeals to me, closed source isn't for me, I don't like google and all the NSA spying/privacy invasions reported that give android bad press, but I don't wear a tin foil hat either, that's just my opinion, not going to knock anything, everyone's entitled to their preferences.

The actual device, I like very much so far, I'm only on my third day with it, first impressions were good, feels solid in hand and comfortable, looks nice, no front facing buttons, just power and volume rocker on one side. Specs aren't as good as some phone's of a similar and indeed cheaper price,but for me, removable battery and expandable memory were crucial, and to be fair, due to the lightweight nature of the OS, it doesn't need to be overdone, so they say, and so it would appear so far.

It boots pretty quick, faster than my generic android S3 copy, (!) and at first the lack of a 'menu button' on the front is tricky to get your head round 'til you get the hang of the gestures and 'pulley' menus, then it starts falling into place slight_smile The gestures come out smooth and fluid when using the phone, some of the features I've not seen before and do it for me, the one swipe down to close an app instantly/ pull down and select any number of running apps to close them/

swipe from the side to minimize an app then go to another, swipe that to the side then return to the previous app, used that today, really handy, hard to explain in text,  but it just works and works bloody well lol.

Top of the phone is a standard micro usb port and 3.5mm earphone jack, discreet logo, it's unlocked, and has interchangeable backs they call 'The other half' I bought a black back as an extra when I ordered, it adds a whole set of wallpapers and tones/ambiences of it's own when connected to sort of reinvent it all over again, might seem a bit gimmicky and could be, but then you see some of the other backs people are coming out with like a keyboard 'other half' and a solar charger 'other half', and these expandable extras start to make sense.

Camera: seems to have got knocked in some early reviews, possibly due to earlier software running it, all i know is, it seems very acceptable so far, 8mp front facing/2mp rear/selfie facing.

Pics I've done so far have been clear and crisp, and to be fair, if i want ultra sharp/can't be less that perfect shots, I take out my digital camera lol. . . . . . . .  wins every time..........

Apps: native apps are growing in numbers but small compared with android, however, if you so desire, you can also run android apps on the phone as it has a compatibility layer to do so, I'm running a few that I just can't get natively, and they run exactly the same as on android from the selection i've tried, but native apps will/are growing in numbers all the time, and to be fair, the native email/sms/browser/media player/facebook/twitter/file browser are all much better than I hoped they would be.

My opinion would be that if you just want something to work, that doesn't want/or you don't want/ to be messing around with, just buy an android. If you like a fiddle, and aren't afraid to try something new, from a small startup company, and you want/like to have something a little different, give it some consideration..........

I read a lot of reviews, not all good, but I also read good things about the company and their after sales that made me think if anything did go awry, i wouldn't be up the creek, so I took the plunge and I'm glad i did.

It suits me, I like it a lot and I'm only 3 days in, updates to the OS are done first boot, you go thru a wizard to choose apps you will actually use rather than a phone full of bloated cra* you won't, it puts me in charge, which is how I like it, it's approaching the point of the accolade of a fully open source OS, and it's not google/windows/apple, but most importantly, it FEELS like the right decision in a massive market of phones with, to be honest, not a lot of anything really new or different, this really feels like it's different enough to make an impact, they deserve to for having the b*lls to have a go to be fair, it's a bloody good first effort! And to think I nearly (Attempted to buy) bought a Oneplus 1 but got put off by that ridiculous invite system and poorer supply, and I gave up!

Hope this 'review' helps someone out there anyway, meanwhile I'll keep trying to solve this daft sim mystery !

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

If the APN info does not help then you will need to call O2 customer services (202 Contract / 4445 Payg to see if they can forward you the settings you need and to check if your account needs provisioning for mms.

Don't use the Online Live Chat for this as I don't think they'd have a clue !

I cannot find anything conclusive via Google. 😞

APN link http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings

Forgive me for going slightly off topic but how do you find the Sailfish Os and the phone ? I've not come across anyone using them. slight_smile

Please Let us know how you get on so if anyone else with your unique set up needs help they can find it here in your thread.
Message 2 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
O2 do not support that OS so whilst some functions are similar to Android there is no guarantee that everything will work.
I'd start with the standard Android settings though and see how it goes.
Also consider alternatives to MMS such as email, whatsapp, BBM etc.....
Bob - have a look here http://www.engadget.com/products/jolla/phone/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK this is still evading me and I don't get it . . . . . .

Phoned o2 about no mobile internet, short version, he didn't know, blamed the OS lol . . . . sent me some Nokia APN's at my request, tried them, still no cigar.

Brainwave after a bike ride, try my GiffGaff sim (long shot as it's on the bloody o2 network!) Lo and behold . . . . . . . .
It worked??? Copied the AP details down on paper, popped my o2 sim back in, changed the details to match giffgaffs, save and exit - still no mobile net 😐

Phoned o2, recanted the details to a young lady, who asked if I could try my o2 sim in another phone . . . . (that one slipped me by) so tried that and . . . . . . . . . the bloody thing worked in my Android!

So it's not a 'faulty' sim as such, which was why I called them back, it works in my android, won't work in my Jolla, my GiffGaff sim, that piggybacks on the o2 network (o2 lite!) works perfectly well on my Jolla. . . . . . . . .

So the obvious 'hack' would just be to use the giffgaff sim but get the number changed, but that doesn't 'solve' the problem for me, I want to fix the new micro sim that refuses to work..................

answers on a postcard please ???????

Message 4 of 23

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
What MMS settings are you trying:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 82.132.254.1
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
??
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have (o2 sim) Name: O2 UK AP name payandgo.02.co.uk U/N payandgo password/password proxy 193.113.200.195 port 8080 MMS mssg centre http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk No field for either MCC or MCN, bear in mind the giffgaff sim works, only difference being the AP name.
Message 6 of 23

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As it's not an officially supported device you're just going to have to play with different settings until you find ones that work.... There isn't an answer that I know of as I've not had that phone to play with....
Something will work, when you find it as you've had it working on gg.....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 23

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, typo
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bandofbrothers: Forgive me for going slightly off topic but how do you find the Sailfish Os and the phone ? I've not come across anyone using them. :smileyhappy:

TLDR: So far so good, apart from mobile internet lol!

Being Linux Mint/LMDE/SolydX user and tinkerer, (but by no means a guru!) the Jolla got my attention when I started reading about Sailfish OS some time ago, the freedom to own my device and tinker with it as I see fit appeals to me, closed source isn't for me, I don't like google and all the NSA spying/privacy invasions reported that give android bad press, but I don't wear a tin foil hat either, that's just my opinion, not going to knock anything, everyone's entitled to their preferences.

The actual device, I like very much so far, I'm only on my third day with it, first impressions were good, feels solid in hand and comfortable, looks nice, no front facing buttons, just power and volume rocker on one side. Specs aren't as good as some phone's of a similar and indeed cheaper price,but for me, removable battery and expandable memory were crucial, and to be fair, due to the lightweight nature of the OS, it doesn't need to be overdone, so they say, and so it would appear so far.

It boots pretty quick, faster than my generic android S3 copy, (!) and at first the lack of a 'menu button' on the front is tricky to get your head round 'til you get the hang of the gestures and 'pulley' menus, then it starts falling into place slight_smile The gestures come out smooth and fluid when using the phone, some of the features I've not seen before and do it for me, the one swipe down to close an app instantly/ pull down and select any number of running apps to close them/

swipe from the side to minimize an app then go to another, swipe that to the side then return to the previous app, used that today, really handy, hard to explain in text,  but it just works and works bloody well lol.

Top of the phone is a standard micro usb port and 3.5mm earphone jack, discreet logo, it's unlocked, and has interchangeable backs they call 'The other half' I bought a black back as an extra when I ordered, it adds a whole set of wallpapers and tones/ambiences of it's own when connected to sort of reinvent it all over again, might seem a bit gimmicky and could be, but then you see some of the other backs people are coming out with like a keyboard 'other half' and a solar charger 'other half', and these expandable extras start to make sense.

Camera: seems to have got knocked in some early reviews, possibly due to earlier software running it, all i know is, it seems very acceptable so far, 8mp front facing/2mp rear/selfie facing.

Pics I've done so far have been clear and crisp, and to be fair, if i want ultra sharp/can't be less that perfect shots, I take out my digital camera lol. . . . . . . .  wins every time..........

Apps: native apps are growing in numbers but small compared with android, however, if you so desire, you can also run android apps on the phone as it has a compatibility layer to do so, I'm running a few that I just can't get natively, and they run exactly the same as on android from the selection i've tried, but native apps will/are growing in numbers all the time, and to be fair, the native email/sms/browser/media player/facebook/twitter/file browser are all much better than I hoped they would be.

My opinion would be that if you just want something to work, that doesn't want/or you don't want/ to be messing around with, just buy an android. If you like a fiddle, and aren't afraid to try something new, from a small startup company, and you want/like to have something a little different, give it some consideration..........

I read a lot of reviews, not all good, but I also read good things about the company and their after sales that made me think if anything did go awry, i wouldn't be up the creek, so I took the plunge and I'm glad i did.

It suits me, I like it a lot and I'm only 3 days in, updates to the OS are done first boot, you go thru a wizard to choose apps you will actually use rather than a phone full of bloated cra* you won't, it puts me in charge, which is how I like it, it's approaching the point of the accolade of a fully open source OS, and it's not google/windows/apple, but most importantly, it FEELS like the right decision in a massive market of phones with, to be honest, not a lot of anything really new or different, this really feels like it's different enough to make an impact, they deserve to for having the b*lls to have a go to be fair, it's a bloody good first effort! And to think I nearly (Attempted to buy) bought a Oneplus 1 but got put off by that ridiculous invite system and poorer supply, and I gave up!

Hope this 'review' helps someone out there anyway, meanwhile I'll keep trying to solve this daft sim mystery !

Message 10 of 23