O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Other Devices (Nokia, Blackberry, etc)

Level 2: Apprentice
matt888uk

MMS not sending/receiving on Samsung Galaxy Ace?

Hello. Got a Samsung Galaxy Ace recently - one major problem I'm having is with MMS messages - they don't seem to come through properly, nor do they send.
I've had the active settings through from O2, and restored the default APN settings, both without success.
I do have the 'use packet data' option switched off, as I don't want to use the Internet when not in a wi-fi area (no net included on my contract) - could this be why the MMS isn't working? If so, that's a massive pain. And a bit daft.
Please use plain text.
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
prking

Re: MMS not sending/receiving on Samsung Galaxy Ace?

MMS uses packet data, so could well explain your problem.
There are Apps (like apndroid) which will attempt to keep MMS active while turning off other data.
I have to say, a smartphone without a data plan, is always going to be inconvenient.
No - there isn't an app for it.
Please use plain text.
matt888uk

Well that's a pain!
It's my gf's phone - she likes to do web things when at home using wi-fi, but has no interest using it for that when out and about, so didn't get a data plan.
Never used data on her old phone to receive MMS, so can't really understand the need to have data switched on now for that purpose. Oh well, she'll have to live without. Seems like a massive step backwards, mind.
Ta for your help anyway...
Please use plain text.
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
prking

MMS has always used Packet Data. One glance at the settings will show you that.
What your girlfriend is forgetting is that a smartphone doesn't just use data when you are browsing the web or looking at facebook. It will be using it most of the time for always on applications.
Trying to use a smartphone like a 'dumb' phone will always be a pain.
No - there isn't an app for it.
Please use plain text.
matt888uk

Cheers for your help! Added a 100mb bolt-on for £3, which should be enough.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
paulharness

It's a problem with the Android Gingerbread update as far as my galaxy ace goes, and the only proper solution is for O2 to release one of the several updates to the firmware. Unfortunately O2 appear to be very slow in doing this.
Meantime you can go into the menu- settings- wireless & network settings- mobile networks- and tick on the use only 2G networks. That seems to work for me, but it slows down sending / receiving.
Keep shouting at O2 to release the update!
Please use plain text.
grahamflowers

Hi, all Android phones need to use packet data/internet to send & receive MMS, will not work using wifi. Has nothing to do with Gingerbread or Froyo etc... & you will always need to have packet data switched on whether 2G or 3G to send & receive MMS. Graham.
Please use plain text.
mjt
Level 5: Ponderer
mjt

I have been having problems sending and receiving picture messages on my Galaxy Nexus too. Popped into my local o2 Store and they fixed it in a couple seconds. In the APN type field where mine was blank (some devices have it showing mms) there should have been just a * and that was that. All sorted!
Galaxy Nexus
Joggler
Please use plain text.