cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 930 has no Glance Screen

Anonymous
Not applicable

This week Nokia announced the Lumia 930 and it sure looks like a great phone.  I may upgrade to one when the time comes.

Unfortunately it doesn't come with a Glance screen like other Lumias as the screen doesn't support "screen memory".

I don't think this is a deal breaker for me as the phone offers so much more?  The lack of a Glance Screen is irritating, but I think I can ignore it.

What does anyone else think?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
For the benefit of non Nokia aficionados, what is "Glance Screen" pls?

It's basically your lock screen, but has notifications on it "at a glance" without you having to do anything. So mine had it to show the time, and then if I got any emails or texts etc.

925_glance_big_465.jpg

You can have it set different ways, I changed mind so it only displayed if I waved my hand over it, then eventually turned it off completely.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I ended up turning the glance screen off while I was trialling it to be honest, having it floating around on my screen drove me nuts.

One thing I prefer is a notification LED instead, which it doesn't have. Wouldn't be a deal breaker though.
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

It's basically your lock screen, but has notifications on it "at a glance" without you having to do anything. So mine had it to show the time, and then if I got any emails or texts etc.

925_glance_big_465.jpg

You can have it set different ways, I changed mind so it only displayed if I waved my hand over it, then eventually turned it off completely.

Message 4 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Cheers for that slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 18

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

I was about to ask the same thing slight_smile

Thanks for clarifying @Anonymous and for adding this @Anonymous 

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had it not been for the device loan trial I wouldn't have known either, so it's another +1 to the community!
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to wanty's reply, the Glance screen can either be turned on permanently, when you tap on the screen, or can be set to display when the phone is moved (e.g. when you pick it up).

I find this last option to be the best for me as it saves battery on my 920 as the screen isn't turned on all the time.

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I ended up turning the glance screen off while I was trialling it to be honest, having it floating around on my screen drove me nuts.

One thing I prefer is a notification LED instead, which it doesn't have. Wouldn't be a deal breaker though.

I think you're right, its not a deal breaker, but a bit annoying not having it.

I like the way the Glance Screen changers colour at night time so its not so bright.  Its all nice little things like this, but they're only available on Lumia phones and not across the whole WP8 line.

I used to like the notification LED on my BlackBerry.

Message 9 of 18

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

MI5 and @Toby I refer you  both to my Lumia 1020 review wink

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Nokia-1020-Review/td-p/645881

@Anonymous wrote:
Had it not been for the device loan trial I wouldn't have known either, so it's another +1 to the community!

Likewise Smiley LOL

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 18