Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 820 what is 'other' storage

Pete208
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Lumia 820 Windows 8 phone and although it is ok, there is a problem with memory

storage.  I don't have that many apps but when I check the phone storage I have 2.94 designated as 'other' does anybody know what this is and how do I get rid of it as my phone is starting to run a bit slow.

Contained on my phone is

Music and videos 101.5 mb

Picture 68.46kb

Apps 1.93gb

OTHER 2.94GB

System 1.91gb

Free space 535.36mb

Hope you can help.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Other is cached files - temp, junk stuff just the same as on a PC. It is safe to delete but it doesn't usually cause you any problems.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Pete208
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The problem is that I don't know how to deleate it, can you help?

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I would suggest connecting the phone to your PC and use a file explorer to view and (if you want) delete the files.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Pete208
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that, tried a number of progs but none of them show the 'other' folder just music, video and docs.

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Can you right click and select properties and then disc cleanup ?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have encountered the same problem and I've followed all the steps in this thread but still have no joy, PLEASEEEEE guys I'm begging you, what can I do before I throw my windows phone through a closed window?

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry no help but I have exactly the same issue.

I have no photos, videos or music on my phone memory and medium amount of apps.

Have deleted all from SD card, have deleted all temp files/history in browsers, deleted all emails, sms, mms and it makes minimal difference, as in MB.  Hence there can be no associated 'filing' type files within 'other.

I have over 4GB of 'other', and I keep on getting low phone storage, constantly having to delete stuff etc.

My mobile is unusable. If it does not get sorted then it is going back.  Am currently trying to get answers from Nokia Care.  Initial feedback was remove apps (not good enough, never had to do this with an iphone) and update software (its up to date anyway).  I think it has trouble clearing the cache somehow.

It is a joke!!!

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It does appear to be a software issue from reading about it on other forums.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem !  Yesterday I could not send texts or Mails .... Phone card full it said !   Ihave 5.13 GB in Other 1.91 G in System 48Kb Music 381 MB Apps ( after I remove a few) and now 147Mb free.   O2 guru said take off Facebook .... re install... turn off and it will be great !   Have done that but still have the huge Other 5.13 Gb .   Are Microsoft doing anything to resilve this ??

Message 10 of 14