cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 550 Windows 10 intermittently sends and receives text?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Microsoft Lumia 550 windows 10 phone has since I got it 2 weeks ago does not send or receive texts. When it decides to stop sending messages in the settings under Network& Wireless, then in Mobile & Sim there is nothing no settings. The only thing at the top of the screen is web link Mobile & settings. Sometime if I switch the phone off and I can send txts and all the information in the screen under mobile and simm is there. I was told by a shop Guru that it could be the 4g setting so this was changed to 3g and it still happened. It is not as frequent, it may occur once every 3 days, sometimes I have to take the battery out. It's getting to the point where I be return the phone to the shop...any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@MI5, I agree about the bugs in win10. However, what's odd is they are more prominent in the new hardware. For example. My 950 still randomly reboots every few days. But I really cant be bothered sending it back, because they would most likely reinstall the firmware and the os, both of which I've already done 😞

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93215 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 13 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hopefully @Anonymous the replacement phone does the trick..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks....sadly slight_frown I spoke to soon, all was ok in the shop. When I got home the phone decided to do an operating software update, wifi, this took about 15 mins. Once this was done I decided to check mobile & sim setting all appeared ok. The in store I noticed it needed to update about 38 apps, calender, people, phone, messaging, most of the main operating apps on the phone, so I let it do this about 45 mins. Once this was complete I checked the mobile & sim settings....my heart was in my mouthCrazy....they were gone. I didn't ask the phone to restore any back ups, I even replaced the sd card, this was clean set up, sterile clean fresh, no contact with the previous phone or back up. I hadn't even downloaded any of the app I would normally have had on my phone....I was fuming. Anyway I traced all that I had done and decided to reset the phone to it factory settings. When the phone rebooted and after all the wheel/cogs had stopped turning I noted all that was happening with the startup, strangley this time the phone didn't do a software update, I again checked the store and there were only 32 updates this time. I downloaded these, one was messaging, phone, contacts and a few others I thought may be casing the problem. lo and behold once these where downloaded the mobile & sm data disappeared. I rebooted the phone and checked to see if the problem had gone, no it hadn't. I resett the phone again to it's factory settings, no software update this time 30 app updates this time, then once all was installed (apps) in store it stated that it had to do a further 4 updates relating to phone, messaging, people, settings, I allowed these to down load and update, rebooted the phone checked the mobile and sim setting bingo all working...so fingers crossed. As a few have said there is or must be a few glitches hopefully Microsoft will iron these out....

Message 15 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Wow @Anonymous I admire your persistence to keep trying and trying to get it sorted. As you say these are major 'glitches' with Win 10 which Microsoft should be resolving as a matter of priority. Fingers crossed it keeps stable and working fine now...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, is SMS delivery confirmation enabled in settings? i had the same issue when i enabled this. I had to turn the settings off and remove my sim, insert the sim and start the phone back up to get the issue sorted. I did not find a way to keep SMS delivery confirmation enabled and be able to send and recieve texts.

Message 17 of 23

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27643 Solutions
As I suspected.... another bug 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cleoriff....I hate being palmed off when there is definitely a problem. So far so good settings still visible and able to send and receive txt messages. There's definitely something different about the new phone, faster, oh and doesn't switch itself on and off as the other one did, twice to be honest, minor things like displaying notifications on the lock screen for emails, fb, txt messages and calls, this didn't happen with the other phone even after it was looked at by various experts? Well long may it last, I report back in a weeks time or before that if I have any problems...

Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Charliekrad....no it isn't now it had been by default in the the faulty phone. I remember when I had been on with 02 the evening I bought the phone the guy asked me to check these settings, remove the sim, clean it with a cloth insert again and restart the phone. I reckon there was other faults with the phone, when I was on with the guy from 02, nearing the end of out tethers my phon decided to to do a software update, this lasted for a good ½.hour. This may be a daft question, you may have already done this, have you reset your phone to factory setting? Good luck...Cheers

Message 20 of 23