cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 1020 won't connect to computer with USB anymore

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my 1020 (WP8.0) I connected it to my Windows 7 PC; Windows automatically detected a new device (like it does with USB devices of all kinds) and installed the phone as a device. I could transfer files across, set it up, etc.

Recently I tried plugging it in to put music on and other than the phone starting to charge, nothing happened. No removable drive was detected, no device was shown in the device manager, nothing - as far as could be determined the PC was unaware the phone was there at all.

I tried rebooting the phone and PC, changing the USB port and the cable, all to no effect. I removed the 1020 device from my PC and even removed the Windows Phone app. No change - plugging the phone in no USB devcie was detected.

Then I tried on my Mac, which has never been used with my phone. I installed the Mac Windows Phone App and plugged the phone in - exactly the same result. It starts charging but the computer doesn't seem aware anything is plugged in.

That it does this on two separate computers, running different OS, using cables I know work, suggests it has to be the phone, but what next? I would rather not be without my phone - what shall I do? I bought it through O2 online, can I take it into an O2 shop and get them to verify the problem at least?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I use a MacBook Air with my Nokia Lumia 520 with the app you describe as I sync with my iTunes library onto the 520.

I find no issues with mine and if I recall I didn't have to do anything in the phones settings either.

Is their any lint etc in the phones ports ?

Have you tried turning the phone off and back on again.
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

have you tried restarting the phone while it is connected via USB to the PC, or even switching the phone off and then connecting it to the PC?

Have you made sure to unlock the phone once its connected via USB?

Make sure you have re-installed the Windows Phone app on the PC though as it may include drivers that are needed to detect the phone.

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would point the finger at the usb cable myself. I am using a 1020 currently via Try The Tech from o2 and the data cable that came with it charges the phone via the pc but the pc doesn't recognise the phone. However when I tried my Samsung usb cable the pc picked up the phone immediately.

Can I suggest you try an alternative cable to rule that it first?
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was of the same thinking as well, but OP has said that they have tried a different cable already. What are the chances of two duff cables?

Has a genuine Nokia cable been used?

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some cables are only power cables and not data cables so if for example one buys a cable via eBay then it might only be a charging cable.
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The cable would be the first thing I would be looking at. I have the same problem unless I use the correct cable.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Please stay in touch with the Community and let us know how things progress.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar issue in reverting my 925 back to the Windows Phone version 8.

Open Control Panel and check Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, look for devices with an exclaimation mark.

Within Universal Serial Bus Controllers and removed the entries one at a time. Rebooted connected my cable and the device was recognised.

Message 10 of 10