cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Smartphones????

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I recently upgraded from a Nokia Lumia 635 to a nokia Lumia 640.

I use the Nokia Lumia 640 and I gave the 635 to my young son.
When I gave the 635 to my son i got a free new nano-SIM and put that in the handset, and I put the nano-SIM from the 635 into the new 640 so y number would remain the same.

I'm now having problems between the two phones - its all very bizarre - when I send a text msg from my phone to whoever it is appearing on my sons phone (my old phone) its like there is a link between them ! Also when my son sends a txt it will appear on my phone say an hr orso later.
I thought that by getting a new pay as you go nano- SIM and putting it in my old nokia Lumia 635 and putting my current pay monthly nano-SIM in my Nokia Lumia 640 would allow me to manage both phones independantly, but now I see my sons texts and he sees mine !

What am I doing wrong??
I want to stop this obvious 'link' they have but don't know enough about smartphones.....any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance,
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately a factory reset will wipe everything.
Windows phones automatically back up to the windows id associated with the phone so you would be backing up to the same account he's using now and you need a different one to prevent the sync so first step is to disassociate your sons phone from your account.
From there you can check if your son is attached to your account and remove him from it.
This should stop the sync but the backed up data will still be attached to you.
After this he can create his own account and back up the phone again before resetting it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sounds like both phones are logged into the same windows id.
You need to do a factory reset on your sons phone and get him to set it up as a new device with his own id as long as his windows account isn't linked to yours as a family member.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thanks for your reply,

What are the steps to do the factory reset on my sons nokia 635 Nokia phone - and will it mean all pictures and contacts will be completely wiped off so I'll need to back up anything he wants to put back on.... ?

Also when you say 'windows id' what do you mean? He has a microsoft account i think because he has a '@outlook' email address - could you elaborate on what you mean...... or do I simply need to set him up his own microsoft account and how does this relate to a O2 mobile?

Very sorry for all the questions - I'm trying to understand the problem and its annoying me that I don't know it.....Don't know

regards,

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately a factory reset will wipe everything.
Windows phones automatically back up to the windows id associated with the phone so you would be backing up to the same account he's using now and you need a different one to prevent the sync so first step is to disassociate your sons phone from your account.
From there you can check if your son is attached to your account and remove him from it.
This should stop the sync but the backed up data will still be attached to you.
After this he can create his own account and back up the phone again before resetting it.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks very much for all your help,

I've removed my son's phone from my microsoft account, and I will factory reset his phone as well,

Hopefully this will sort out the problem,

many thanks again,

regards,

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Before you do the reset, make sure he backs up to his own new account.
That way he won't lose anything that's currently on his phone.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6