cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet access on Nokia Lumia 625 running in background and using all my credit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Ive just bought a Nokia Lumia 625. I'm not a great phone user, just use it for calls and very little Internet browsing. I just liked the look of the phone. However, I'm on Pay as you go and added the basic web bolt on at £3.00 per month which gives me 100MB of data. Now as I said, I'm a very light user (about 10 mins per day at a very maximum, most days I won't access the web at all) but I've used my 100Mb already and it's only been added 2 days ago. I have downloaded 3 games at 25mb each, but one is a trial, so will be removed but apart from that nothing. I have noticed though that when I tap on the Internet explorer icon, the last web page I was in comes up immediately and I don't know how to get it back to the homepage and close the window (the handbook is useless and I'm an IT dinosaur!). Is the problem that this page is still running in the background  when I leave it and so using my credit? If so, how do I close it as it's costing me a fortune as O2 is now deducting £1.00 a day off my balance to give me an extra 50Mb which is used every day!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144347 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Yes, I see..... Turn off data completely until your next billing cycle then and monitor it closely to see how it goes.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Close the apps you are not using. To close most of the apps, press back key.Some apps may run in the background unnecessarily. On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings, swipe to applications, and tap background tasks. Tap the app you want to block, and tap block.

Are your apps updates set to automatic or manual?

Also, sometimes O2 and the apps update at night, so it might be worth switching mobile data off at night.

Use wifi whenever possible will help too.

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for that. There are only 3 Apps listed there for me to block and an "advanced" key that when I press it all the Apps listed are greyed out and I can't block them - is this normal? where would I check if my apps are set for automatic updates?

Many thanks in advance.

tony

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I'm sorry but I don't know if this is normal.

@MI5, can you help the customer please?

He knows about Nokia phones a lot slight_smile

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144347 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Read these battery saving tips here which also cover turning off background apps and location services etc.
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/lumia1020/userguidance/?action=singleTopic&topic=GUID-DB7...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your excellent help everyone. I've turned off everything I think that I can. I now have the issue that O2 is charging me £1.00 per day because my bolt on allowance is used up. I have removed the bolt on (Basics) but it will not now remove until my annivesary date on 9.2.14 because it has to be in force for 1 month before removal. If I add another bolt at £6.00 per month on from today (the next one up because in theory I still have the Basics bolt on til' February) will it work immediately rather that come into force from 10.2.14 and will it stop the £1.00 per day being taken by O2 for my Basics bolt on?

Sorry for so many questions!

Tony

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144347 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You can but you should calls CS on the phone to ensure it starts immediately.
Maybe you should change to a higher bolt on permanently ?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5. The point is tho that I'm not using my allowance. something in the background seemed to be running and used my allowance up. I'm hoping now that I've switched everything off it will be okay, but without running another bolt on I've no idea. 100mb is way more than I need.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144347 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Yes, I see..... Turn off data completely until your next billing cycle then and monitor it closely to see how it goes.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look in Data Sense which apps are using it… if you've linked facebook/twitter accounts there's a possibility it's being used by the People app, or photos app, or other areas. There's also a "System" part in Data Sense that has used 22 MB of data, and I don't know what for.

Honestly unless you're really on a budget I would get stuck in with a little more data and start using your smartphone to it's full capacity, but if you really can't then maybe you're going to have to get used to going into mobile network and turning off the data connection everytime you don't want to use it.

You can get numerous apps that create shortcuts on your homescreen to the "mobile network" settings. I think even the O2 app has a shortcut for this.

Message 10 of 12