cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Nexus 5, but not too happy with it

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a Nexus 5 since March 25th 2014 as part of the O2 Refresh plan - so I pay about £20/month for the phone and another £20/month for the tariff.

I previously was using an iPhone 4 (standard, not S) and was very happy with it apart from the immense slowness as time went on. 

I've come to miss many things about the iPhone, like being able to quickly sync with iTunes (I have thousands of playlists), which as a workaround I have tried using doubleTwist (doesn't work on PC or Mac - crashes every time) and have finally settled on iSyncr, but it is very very slow. Also GPS/compass accuracy that seems to be fine on the Nexus for a few days then just goes wildly out of sync again and requires manual intervention, this has always been fine on the iPhone. I also miss the interface of iOS and have found that although I really like the speed of the Nexus 5, I don't like the Android interface and the majority of apps available. The default apps in the Nexus seem a bit weird - having Gallery and Photos, for example, plus I'm not overly keen on the Hangouts style messaging. Also... playing music on the Nexus is just dreadful. The default music player skips tracks and often doesn't update my music library until I restart the handset, also the currently playing track on the lock screen is usually not correct. I have also tried RocketPlayer but it has the same problems and also has a very complex interface. Another thing is that I have purchased a MacBook Air and use it for pretty much everything, so it sort of makes sense to go Apple.

If I decide to upgrade to an iPhone 6 now during my contract, I need to pay about £360 to O2 to end the handset tariff. Does this mean that I can then sell the device on eBay or something? I will lose about £100 plus the £100 or so that I have already spent on the handset tariff since having the phone. I suppose I will also need to buy iPhone 6 if O2 don't offer it for free on their contracts, but haven't yet looked in to the cost of this...

As of right now it doesn't seem worth it to upgrade for these annoyances, but I can see myself getting more and more frustrated as time goes on and as I regret purchasing this phone. Do I really want to wait until March 2016?

What would you guys do? Maybe you could help me cope with my Nexus 5 a bit better... or maybe the costs of upgrading are not as high as I suspect?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The advantages of Refresh is that you can pay off the handset and end the airtime contract without penalty and obviously sell the Nexus to recuperate the money. You are then free to choose your options.

I have personally found that if you aren't happy with a phone now you never will be. I, in your position, would sell the phone and go for the iphone if that was my preference.(It's not by the way:smileywink:)

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, thanks for your response. I understand a lot of what I said is quite subjective and the views I have may be totally different to somebody else with the same device.

I think that I will investigate swapping to an iPhone since I was so happy with the previous one.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Possibly your suffering from buyers remorse.

If you do sell this phone and opt for the iPhone then don't forget to speak to Customer Service to ask to be placed back on iData Settings so your internet works ok.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
The beauty of Android is the fact that you can change anything you don't like, unlike iOS in which you are stuck with what Apple like. Fine if it suits you of course.
Anyway, there are many different music players, text apps and gallery apps on Play so it may just be a case of one by one going through them and trying them out.
Samsung's stock Gallery app is probably the best one there is but "gallery pro" is very similarly excellent https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.kdjsoftware.gallerypro.media&hl=en
Music wise I favour "power amp" (free version here) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en and for text messaging try "Go SMS" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gosms&hl=en
All this is based on you giving the Nexus another chance of course, but if you really want an iPhone just go with jonsie's suggestion above slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

If you're going to sell the Nexus 5 do it asap and before the next Nexus 6 is released at the end of this month. You will get mo monies for it. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
You still got Nexus 5? Is it 32GB White and what condition is it?
Message 7 of 7