cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop apps using internet on pay/go phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I know there have been posts about this in the past but I couldn't find anything from the last few months.  I've got a Nokia pay & go on o2 and in about the last week it's started logging itself into the internet while not in use, and the first I know about it is when I get a message saying I've been charged for it.  I'm pretty sure I haven't got any third party apps installed so it must be o2's own software doing it - how do I switch this off, and how did I unwittingly sign up for it in the first place?

Tbanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so fast.  Is that the option that shows as "packet data connection" on my Nokia 300, currently set to "always online"?

Yes, switch it to off to never allow a connection to data or when needed will only give data when you check emails or open the internet browser yourself.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

To stop connection to the O2 internet turn off your MOBILE DATA in the settings.

1. Find "mobile network"
Slide your finger left on the display.
Press Settings.
Press mobile network.
2. Turn mobile data on or off
Press the field below "Data connection".
Press on or off.
3. Return to the home screen
Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

And then use wifi.

Apps on smartphones update in the background which uses data.

It may be worth looking at a Payg tariff that includes data allowances.

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Edit to add link.
Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Which Nokia phone do you have?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so fast.  Is that the option that shows as "packet data connection" on my Nokia 300, currently set to "always online"?

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

My apologies I was in windows mode for Nokia. 😞

Go to Settings...
Then Connectivity..
Then select Mobile Data..
Select Mobile data again...

Then OFF

Or

Settings & phone& Connectivity& packet data
Off /When needed /Always needed ,
Some Asha brand have only last two options
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not seeing that exact combination - I go into Settings / Connectivity then the relevant option looks like it could be Packet Data; once there, the options are Packet Data Conn. (currently "always online"), Packet Data Settings (seems to be config rather than on/off) and HS Packet Access ("enabled").

[EDIT]  I take it turning off one or both of these would do it (bearing in mind I don't usually need the internet from my phone)?

Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, switch it to off to never allow a connection to data or when needed will only give data when you check emails or open the internet browser yourself.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I've set it to [EDIT: when needed], will hope that fixes it.:-)

Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not seeing that exact combination - I go into Settings / Connectivity then the relevant option looks like it could be Packet Data; once there, the options are Packet Data Conn. (currently "always online"), Packet Data Settings (seems to be config rather than on/off) and HS Packet Access ("enabled").

[EDIT]  I take it turning off one or both of these would do it (bearing in mind I don't usually need the internet from my phone)?

Just disable it completely if you don't intend using data but you can set individual access levels in the separate apps for internet/email etc

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad you're sorted. slight_smile
Message 10 of 15