cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC HD7 - Windows Phone 7.8 Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Does anyone have any indication if or when O2 are going to release this update for HD7?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Live Tile is just blank, it's a known issue apparently.
Message 21 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive completely given up although i did update to 7.8 using the workaround posted previously. Bought a SIM Free Lumia 620 so to hell with O2 and long contracts.

Message 22 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 still haven't released it then? I updated mine myself several months ago, if O2 STILL have failed to release the update then I agree. I was going to get a Nokia but I shall make the switch to another network.
Message 23 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got an update on my HTC HD7 thinking that it was the start of the updates to 7.8 . Sadly it was the one update to bring it to 7.10.8779.8 .  Sorry to reignite the old thread but anyone heard anything new? Hate being left in the dark... 

Thanks

Aaron

Message 24 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just upgraded using the method explained in this thread. It doesn't matter to me if O2 release the update soon though as I've bought a SIM free ATIV S.
Message 25 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got that small update as well.  The force update thing with pulling the internet just doesn't work for me.  An O2 support person told me a month ago that it was imminent. So where is it O2? Why are you the last network to give us the 7.8 update?

Message 26 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The force update thing with pulling the internet just doesn't work for me.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use the SevenEighter method? This should work for everybody.

Message 27 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes there is. It's because I can't afford to risk bricking my phone.

David

Message 28 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes there is. It's because I can't afford to risk bricking my phone.

Fair enough, any update is "at your own risk", but it's worth noting the following.

1. The "seveneighter" process is not a ROM-flash. It just downloads the standard MS update files, without running the provider-check.
2. The process creates a restoreable backup prior to update.
3. I have now updated 15 phones using this method. There have been no problems whatsoever. The only thing you need to do is make sure that you "tick" the right language packs when running the update. If in doubt, choose them all....
To be clear, the standard MS-Update routine does the following: (1) Check if there is an update available; (2) Check if the service-provider has approved that update; (3) install the update. The seveneighter process just skips step (2), that's all.
In other words, it's pretty much the same as the force-update, but without all the connect/disconnect faffing about.

Message 29 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was tempted by that utility but Googling it reveals that several people have had problems with it. Even it's own website says it cannot be refstored back so I'm not sure why you say it can. Interestingly I could find no reports at all of anyone's phone being bricked by the official update despite the statutory warnings.  There just seem to be too many people who have had issues with Seven-Eighter and the one question that sticks in my mind as a programmer; why can it not detect the languages required and install them like the official update obviously can?

I need my phone to stay in touch with family and clients. I simply cannot risk being without it. If this was just a spare phone then I would use that utility without hesitation but in this never-ending recession when money is tight I can't risk screwing it up and having to go out and blow nearly £500 on a new smartphone.

I tell you  something though: In the future I will always buy unbranded phones. Last year I dumped my contract and went solo with a small provider who uses the O2 network. Now, given the cash, I can buy any phone I want, any time I want. AND I get unlimited internet instead of some silly 500MB per month!

Message 30 of 34