Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Its a common complaint on here over the years and the usual analogy of a buying a new car (or other goods!) applies: you tend to get a better deal if the item is about to be replaced by a newer one. Unfortunately, mobile phones have a shelf life of about 3 - 6 months then another model comes out. I would guess looking at the release date and availability to the public of the 1020, it seems to be priced right then and now.

We're now 6 months down the line and its more than likely the replacement is coming which may be another factor in the drop. That and MS need a little more traction to WinPho now they've absorbed the Nokia phones division. 

I'm like BoB  - don't bother looking at the prices after purchase as it just breeds discontent when in reality, the device has served you well so far in the intervening period. Even more so when you notice that the latest models just seem so much better! 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, and welcome to the community.

Unfortunately its a fact of life that anything you buy new will drop in value as soon as you start using it. There is all the old saying that a new car drops in value by thousands as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

Of course there are the odd exceptions but generally most things will decrease in value the longer you have them.

You must also remember that Refresh prices generally are higher than you would normally have to pay buying the phone SIM-free.

The Lumia 1020 can be bought SIM free for less than £400 now, your phone is 7 months old. The figure you have been quoted seems like a fair price.

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not the point I was making. I am not selling the phone or looking to buy a second hand one.

As I said in December O2 Refresh price ( new handset ) £600.

Now O2 Refresh price ( new hand set ) £240 ( oh and the good bit, the refurb is £360 ) !

Just a shame all handsets dont drop by over 55% in 7 months or is it just a case of O2 over stocked on the 64gig 1020 or they didnt sell as they expected.

Dont get me wrong I would expect a price drop over time but this is a bit excessive.

But then again the I-Phone 5s how much has the price dropped since they were on O2 Refresh ?

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

The laws of Supply and Demand my good friend! The iPhone 5S is still a very much sought after phone and as such the price remains high. The Lumia 1020 not sought after so much and so the price drops to make it more applealing to consumers in the hope that O2 sell more.

Message 4 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
^^^^exactly that^^^
At £600 I wouldn't be interested in that phone at all. At £240, that will sway a few fence sitters.
Message 5 of 11

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

You could write and ask them to reevaluate your handset price, maybe ask for remaining balance payments to reflect this massive difference. I honestly wouldn't expect them to, you knew what you were buying and at the time were happy to proceed.

It is a hell of a drop tho.

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats just it as you said a hell of a drop.

Love the phone just a shame its on Windows ( lack of apps ) but I didnt get if for that. It was for the camera.

As you said write to O2 see what happens but wont hold my breath. Im not after a refund as was said I made my choice and paid the money just feel a bit ripped at the price drop in a short period of time.

Message 7 of 11

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Understandably so, with the market the way it is now, I'm sure it won't be the last time this happens.
Hope you can sort something out.
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm sorry but I wouldn't expect O2 to consider looking at the op's handset price Vs remaining phone balance.

As said this happens across the board in most sectors.

When I've bought into a product I try not to look at its price sometime after as like you I think WoW if the price has dropped for whatever reason.

I typically find that the retail handset price of Apples iPhones hold their price very well.

Prices on Refresh for the handsets can be higher than if bought retail factory unlocked, but that's the downside of purchasing it in instalments. A bit like a catalogue purchase. wink

I think we've all bought something in our life's only to find it go down in cost ref sales and market depreciation.

Frustrating as it is. 😞

I tech reviewed the Nokia Lumia 1020 for O2 and found that most of the usual well known apps are present for this platform. Let's face it a lot of the apps in GooglePlay and The App Store are dross and eye candy.

One surprising omission was Google Chrome which is a browser I typically choose.

Take care.
Message 9 of 11

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
As said earlier, I wouldn't expect them to either.
There is only really the option of letting them know it upsets the OP as there is no cause for complaint in this instance. The handsets value was determined at point of sale and should still hold that value to the purchaser.
The only phones that have held high price is, as said by @bandofbrothers, the iPhone. And in the current market being as competitive as it is, the only way, post release, to compete is by pricing.

Message 10 of 11