O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Other Devices (Nokia, Blackberry, etc)

Level 1: Joiner
tewinite

Dial-up internet via mobile phone

I've got an o2 ice phone. I should be able to get dial-up internet with this connected to laptop. The setup on PCsuite asks for APN and restricts to o2 as provider in the UK. I thought you could simply pick a dial-up ISP and use the phone as a modem just like the old landline dial-up system. Does anyone have experience of this. The help information on the PCsuite is minimal.
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

Connecting to wap with an O2 mobile will only ever connect via O2.

Using it as a modem for your laptop I am fairly sure contravenes their terms and conditions, which is why they sell Mobile Broadband USB dongles.
Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
tewinite

Thanks Perksie,
Managed to speak to someone at o2 who basically agrees with you. It CAN be done but I'm not going to say how, and I wouldn't even try if you know what's good for you. They seem to be worried about hogging GPRS capacity. Looks like I'll have to startt a dongle collection. One for UK, one for France, etc. Anyway thanks for your help!
Please use plain text.
james_young82

Dial up

If you want to do what I think you do, old skool 56K dial up, then this is how I do it.

Find a free provider, plenty on Google with normally 0845 numbers. Sign up and get your user details.

Bluetooth your phone to your PC, it normally picks the phone up as a modem anyway.

Dial up using your phone, select the bluetooth connection on the PC and boom, your away
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

Re: Dial up

If you want to do what I think you do, old skool 56K dial up, then this is how I do it.
Find a free provider, plenty on Google with normally 0845 numbers. Sign up and get your user details.
Bluetooth your phone to your PC, it normally picks the phone up as a modem anyway.
Dial up using your phone, select the bluetooth connection on the PC and boom, your away

What, over the mobile phone network, I don't think so. :smileyindifferent:
Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
james_young82

It begins with Ha! and ends with Ha!

Cheers Sheepdog
Please use plain text.
DavidMorgan

I used to do it on my Palm Vx and good ol' Nokia 6110 via a cable, on infra-red with a Sagem and the last time was with a Hosted Voip PBX via BT/IR when I was on Vodafone about 3 years ago. It did work but the 0845 charge meant it wasn't worth it other than quickly downloading emails. Not worth doing anymore as the 3G network is considerably better and faster.

Seems like more effort than it's worth, and you might run into problems with o2 besides.
Cheers,
David
Please use plain text.
ValSanders

Find a free provider, plenty on Google with normally 0845 numbers. Sign up and get your user details. SIP Trunking
Bluetooth your phone to your PC, it normally picks the phone up as a modem anyway. International VoIP Calls

Pretty positive you used to be able to do this, albeit at much lower than even normal 56k speed. Still, doable for say, checking Email or something.
Cheers,
Val
Please use plain text.