cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cortana for 625???

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen other o2 phones now have cortana on them so what about the one I bought just a few months ago? Any idea when that will get it? Should really be here now, unless o2 are holding off on updating older phones to 'persuade' people to buy one that already has this feature!

Been hunting for information on this, but all I can find is 'it's in hand', which sounds so much like something I would read in a Dilber cartoon I actually did laugh when I read it.

And what's with Windows phones being under 'other devices'? Don't they deserve to have their own forum section on o2?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I already asked Chris to do a checklist of phones and their 8.1 update 1 status which he said he would do when he had the info.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Its all down to when WP 8.1 update one is released by O2. When that happens you will get access to Cortana as a beta and the services it provides will improve over time. I had a 635 for a while but my phone not branded to any network and I used a developers preview of the sortware. Cortana is the only thing I really miss about WP 😞 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Chris_K from the O2 Social media team may be able to help.
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I already asked Chris to do a checklist of phones and their 8.1 update 1 status which he said he would do when he had the info.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did he give a time frame?

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been teased with this by Microsoft for the last few months.July was the launch IIRC,

There is a way to get it by changing all your settings to American, but it goes as soon as you revert back to English.

Had 8.1 on my 625 for a while now, just no update for Cortana. Don't understand why O2 are holding it back, it's not like they are the developer and you would expect them to want to encourage us to use a service that involves using more data.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Macca1141 and Welcome to the O2 Community Forum.

We are just told they hold firmwares back for testing for compatibility to their network / hardware etc.
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

We have been teased with this by Microsoft for the last few months.July was the launch IIRC,

There is a way to get it by changing all your settings to American, but it goes as soon as you revert back to English.

Had 8.1 on my 625 for a while now, just no update for Cortana. Don't understand why O2 are holding it back, it's not like they are the developer and you would expect them to want to encourage us to use a service that involves using more data.

O2 announcement here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Denim-GDR1-for-Nokia-Lumia-Update/m-p/818261#U818261

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess we can all go back to sleep until January then....

Unless anyone wants to shell out 350 quid for the 730, which appears to be the only way of getting Cortana on a Lumia phone in the UK at the moment. Probably an unintended side effect by all parties involved!

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just updated my Lumia 520 to 8.1 myself but I did buy mine from CPW which are unbranded / unlocked.

Message 10 of 10