cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cortana & Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I've heard that WP 8.1 Update 1 is rolling out to the Lumia 930 devices at the moment, anyone know when other handsets will get the update? Is O2 involved in this update like they were with 8.1 itself?

I have the 1520 and can't wait to upgrade!

Cheers!

Message 1 of 115
114 REPLIES 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for letting us know. Out of curiosity, what testing do carriers do when these updates are released? Are they the same for iOS our do Apple have enough clout to circumvent this requirement or forever carriers to fast track them?
Message 11 of 115

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Apple don'y allow any changes at all - The only differences are carrier updates which are individual to each network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Apple don't allow any changes at all - The only differences are carrier updates which are individual to each network.

Yup, basically I remember reading somewhere that Apple basically dictated to the networks that if they wanted to stock the iPhone then they would have to allow OS updates to be pushed by Apple rather than the usual practice of carriers releasing OS updates after "testing" and branding.

Message 13 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the update@Chris_K - it's killing me though that my abandoned HTC 8X (with developer preview) is now more advanced than my lovely new Lumia 930!

Message 14 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks for the update@Chris_K - it's killing me though that my abandoned HTC 8X (with developer preview) is now more advanced than my lovely new Lumia 930!

Could be a lot worse, you could be a Verizon customer in the US with the Lumia Icon ( the US only version of the 930 ) & still be stuck on Window's phone 8 wink

Message 15 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any idea if the update addresses the screen flicker issue in 2G areas?

Message 16 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Does anyone have an update for this yet? My mate with the 930 on EE has received his yesterday. I've tried to update but it says its already up to date

Message 17 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the issue's when the network operator is allowed to get involved with software updates wink

Unbranded & sim free, my 930 had the update the day Microsoft released it here in the UK.

Message 18 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you shed any light please @Chris_K ?

I'm desperate to use Cortana and my mate keeps rubbing it in!! wink

Message 19 of 115

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any update on this? Are we waiting for o2 to finish testing or has it been passed back to Microkia? And why does such a trifling update need testing anyway? O2 were more than happy to allow Apple to brick my work iPhone a couple of weeks ago, why won't they let me risk my Lumia in the same way?
Message 20 of 115