cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change to 2G on Lumia 1020

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

Just wondering if there's a particular reason that 2G can't be selected as the data option on my 1020?

I understand when there's no 4G or 3G it will drop to 2G… but sometimes in order to preserve battery for a long time, or if not using data much (ie just need phone for calling) I prefer to force 2G.

Thanks

Paul

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

The main reason for this was this option was originally there as mentioned to preserve battery life when 3G was a new technology and coverage was limited resulting in higher than average battery useage.

Theoretically 3G coverage has improved as has battery technology meaning that the drainage difference between 2G and 3G isn't as noticable as it once was. So for most handset providers they have now replaced this option with 4G to 3G

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
The 2G option only seems to have been removed from a number of handsets. Seems a strange move but I'm sure someone knows the reason for it, somewhere.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
This has also been removed for some iPhone users on contract.

I'm on the same iOS as others but on payg and the 3G toggle remains.

I've highlighted this to O2 site staff and am awaiting a response.

I can't see the + of removing this option either ! 😞
Message 3 of 16

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

The main reason for this was this option was originally there as mentioned to preserve battery life when 3G was a new technology and coverage was limited resulting in higher than average battery useage.

Theoretically 3G coverage has improved as has battery technology meaning that the drainage difference between 2G and 3G isn't as noticable as it once was. So for most handset providers they have now replaced this option with 4G to 3G

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem there is if a user has fringe coverage on 3G then switching to 2G can help the user.
Message 5 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
No doubt there are dev's working on an app as we speak wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 16

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

O2 seem to be removing this option from recent phones for some reason.

perhaps they should have waited until the full 4G rollout is complete when the 3G and 2G coverage is supposed to improve as well. wink

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

O2 seem to be removing this option from recent phones for some reason.

perhaps they should have waited until the full 4G rollout is complete when the 3G and 2G coverage is supposed to improve as well. wink

Agreed !

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a small part of me that regrets going down the 4G route because of this, as it does cripple my brand spanking new phone in a way, but then again I bought an operator handset, there's always going to be pros and cons (and to be fair the pro of 64gb is a big one lol). I mean it's great when you're in the city, travelling to and from chargers wink but will be a bit problematic when I want to have a long weekend away or something.

I always find it odd to remove options like this, surely the more options to a user the better.

But then again I suppose looking at it from a business perspective you can push much more data to a person with a faster connection, thus push them to quicker use up their data, thus push them to think about getting a larger bolt on / pay more for their data on their bill… gah, I hate when business gets in the way of user experience / satisfaction.

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree.

😞

I was a little concerned when I updated to iOS 7.0.3 last night but thankfully I still have the toggle.
Message 10 of 16