cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth causes headaches / migraines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone else have this bluetooth migraine problem?

For months i have been getting incredible headaches at work.

Someone asked me to send a file via bluetooth to them and after 2 -3 mins i had a really bad headache !

As an experiment , i downloaded bluetooth spammer and sent messages to everyone at work asking them to turn off their bluetooth devices, miracoulously after a couple of minutes my headaches subsided.

After a bit of research , it seems that bluetooth uses a similiar wavelength as microwaves, but the weird thing is out of all the people i have talked to ( maybe 20-30) only 3 people seem to be affected by this ( small sample but approx 10%).

I have checked for research on the web but cannot see anything.
if anyone has the same issue let me know, would like to get some numbers on this.
regards
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the Motorola H690. Whenever I have it in my ear and in the "on" position, it gives me painful headaches. I don't necessarily need to be speaking. The ear piece that came with my blackberry is usb. Whenever I used that, I was fine. I wanted to go wireless because it was more convenient. I've used it in the home and the car and every time, I get these headaches. Does anyone else suffer from this? I don't own a microwave because it has been alleged that they are bad for your health. And I've been reading that the bluetooth sends similar signals.. I'm not technical and only go on what I'm experiencing physically..
Message 2 of 36

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm going to use a lot of numbers here, but follow me through with them and hopefully you'll see my point of view.

"Ordinary" mobile radio frequencies are either 900MHz or 1800MHz depending on the operator. On the 900MHz system, the maximum handset transmission power is 2W and on the 1800MHz system it is 1W.
Source: http://www.techmind.org/gsm/

Bluetooth headsets operate at 2.4GHz (2400MHz) with an output power of 2.5mW (0.0025 of a watt).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Uses

For comparison, bear in mind that a single bar electric fire is 1000W.
A microwave oven operates at about 1800MHz (similar to mobile radio transmissions) but at 600W-800W.

I will grant you that the radio frequency used for mobile phones, bluetooth headsets and microwave ovens are all in the microwave part of the radio spectrum, but the key thing to bear in mind is the output power.
Mobile phone: 1W-2W
Bluetooth headset: 0.0025W
Microwave oven: 600W-800W

The radio output from mobile technology is vanishingly small compared to a microwave oven. I'm not saying that your symptoms aren't real, however I believe mobile phones/headsets could only have a small contribution to these headaches as the power levels involved are so low that the radio signal hardly gets through the skull. I know I have enough trouble getting a mobile signal inside a building! slight_smile
Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Re Bluetooth headaches...

Both myself and my husband have noticed that bluetooth causes us headaches. Recently I was trying Wii Fit at a friend's house, and I'd love to get one, but as soon as it was turned on I could feel tension in my forehead. We didn't play long enough to get a headache, but I don't know whether I could stand it for long. If things that we can't feel directly (like solar radiation on a cloudy day) can harm us and cause cancer, then I really wonder about something I can feel.

My husband also gets a headache from wireless broadband sometimes.

For your records, I also have a friend who suffered nausea for a year, saw numerous doctors, and eventually, when she heard about my husband's headaches, she realised that her nausea symptoms coincided with getting wireless broadband. She turned it off when it wasn't being used, and that solved the problem. She then got her husband to test the theory by turning it on without telling her. The nausea quickly returned.

I am checking on the net for all the info I can find about this subject. I think some of the replies I find to similar complaints reek of divide and conquer tactics and fake "scientific evidence".
Message 4 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Re Bluetooth headaches...
Both myself and my husband have noticed that bluetooth causes us headaches. Recently I was trying Wii Fit at a friend's house, and I'd love to get one, but as soon as it was turned on I could feel tension in my forehead. We didn't play long enough to get a headache, but I don't know whether I could stand it for long. If things that we can't feel directly (like solar radiation on a cloudy day) can harm us and cause cancer, then I really wonder about something I can feel.
My husband also gets a headache from wireless broadband sometimes.
For your records, I also have a friend who suffered nausea for a year, saw numerous doctors, and eventually, when she heard about my husband's headaches, she realised that her nausea symptoms coincided with getting wireless broadband. She turned it off when it wasn't being used, and that solved the problem. She then got her husband to test the theory by turning it on without telling her. The nausea quickly returned.
I am checking on the net for all the info I can find about this subject. I think some of the replies I find to similar complaints reek of divide and conquer tactics and fake "scientific evidence".

That's very interesting. I've often been slightly concerned about all wireless radio 'radiation' & if it really affects us or not. Let us know what you find out
Message 5 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,
is any one had the side effect while using bluetooh like:
i am using for 1 month , having headache and always sleepy mode,tiredness
before using bluetooth i haven t any of these side effects.
i am quiting using bluetooth for while until proving no side effects occuring.
Message 6 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't usually let my phone's bluetooth turned on but once I forgot it turned on and my phone was in my pocket for like 4 hours while I was in the city right?So when I got home I had a really hard headache and I was wondering WHY? Then I've remembered that I had my bluetooth turned on.This happened twice.I don't care about the people that say that wireless devices use low wattage and and try to explain how it works.I KNOW it does affect human brain so be careful.Keep wireless devices as far and as long as you can from you.Peace!
Message 7 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Look,just do what I tell you.Turn your bluetooth ON and hold it in any of your pockets for 3-4 hours.Tell me how you feel after 4 hours.If you hold it in the pocket near your heart your pressure will go very high and you'll feel like very sick.Don't give me that contributors #### cause I don't buy it.When something is not good for your health it's just not good.So stop trying to convince me it's not the wireless.Read this:WHENEVER I TURN MY PHONE'S BLUETOOTH ON AND HOLD IT FOR SOME HOURS(4h max) IN MY POCKET, IT GIVES ME HEADACHES NO MATTER WHERE I AM.
Message 8 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't meen to burst your bubble, but if their was a problem with Bluetooth, that affected 3/30 or 10% of the population, I don't think we would still be able to use it.
Message 9 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
....so if I now have a headache from too much wine, I can blame it on the BT slight_smile

Seriously, my BT is on permanently 24/7 and the only time my mobile is over 3 feet (sorry, I've not gone metric yet)away from me is when the phone is on charge. Like sheepdog, my phone is on the bedside cabinet every night. I can honestly say, I have no headaches or heart problems even when driving for 4 hours with the BT in my ear.

Maybe different effects for different people.
I'm afraid it's one of personal choice as even the experts can't agree! If you feel that BT is making you ill then obviously don't use it or just use it when necessary.
Message 10 of 36