cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry 9300 - data charge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

As you have already seen the title I assume you might know what I am talking about, if not I'll explain anyway. To access the Internet on my phone I use my own home WIFI yet recently I have been charged for using my own Internet. What I mean by this is, when I am browsing the Internet VIA my own WIFI 02 also charges me data being used. This has Never happened before and has only started 3 days ago out of all the time I've been with 02, which was probably over a few years. I'm not sure why this is happening as nothing has changed on my end, but I am quite frustrated at this. Every now and then a message box notification appears telling me it has used £1 or something along the lines of that. The only way to stop this is turning off my "Mobile Network" connection (02-UK) and when I do that I'm not going to be able to receive calls, or call anyone with it being disabled, so what is the point of that If I cant use it? If you keep this up I am likely to change providers.

Before you suggest the following ; "Turn Data Services off which can be found at Mobile Network Options" then it will not let me access my own WIFI even whilst still currently being connected to it. Nothing helps, so what can I do to fix this? Or is this a new thing that has been introduced?

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again @Anonymous

I have now confirmed and yes, you need a BB bolton.It's 5.00 per month and it gives you 500mb.

As for the charges, something is dropping your connection and you connecting to the network....

I have a 9320 that is being used with no sim card, just over wi-fi for the last 6 months and I can connect ok with no issues.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You must be using data over the network, O2 have no way of charging you for using wi-fi.

The £1 a day charge is for using network data not wifi.

Are you sure you haven't turned wi-fi off on the phone?

Have you checked your home router wi-fi is working ok?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
If you are activating BIS you need mobile data for verification.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
As said, you are not being charged for wifi, you are being charged for the phone switching to mobile data to verify bis.
O2 can not charge you for wifi Connectivity.
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

That's what I thought, however I have not changed anything on the phone so there should be no reason for this to occur out of nowhere, this was the first time I've had this.You say the charge is based on network data? I'm not even sure what that is. I've never been charged before for using the 02 network, unless I make calls, which evidently should use up credit, or is this not the same? Yes, I am absolutely certain nothing is wrong with the WIFI, without the WIFI even working I wouldn't be able to connect to the Internet with the phone regardless of if it uses the 'network data' or whatever it is that you referred to previously.

"As said, you are not being charged for WIFI, you are being charged for the phone switching to mobile data to verify bis. O2 can not charge you for WIFI Connectivity."

I'm not sure what BIS is and I don't know how its been activated but how would I disable it? It's just eating away my credit, which is now currently at £3.96 from £5.08 in just two days or around that. It's not much but eventually its going to take all of my credit and I assume even if i top up this will continue, so I won't be doing that anytime soon. I'm just frustrated at the fact its charging me for nothing.

Thanks for the replies, I wanted to reply to you all but unfortunately this forum does not have a multi-quote feature.

Message 5 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Have you got a Blackberry tariff, as this should include BIS (Blackberry Internet Services)?

Check your account in MyO2 to check.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I do not. Unless you mean this;

"UK texts and data. Top up £10 - £14 to get 300 UK texts and 500MB UK data. Top up £15 - £29 to get 500 UK texts and 500MB UK data. Top up £30 or more to get unlimited UK texts and 500MB UK data."

Which indicates that it would be free with the top up (purchasing credit) so why would it charge in the first place? I'm sorry if I am confusing you or anything.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
OK, so the months you top up you will get a data allowance of 500mb. This is easily enough for a BB, but the months you don't top up mean you don't have data, so you will be charged for accessing it.
I don't believe there is a requirement for a BB specific bolt on anymore - I seem to remember reading something about this changing (maybe someone can confirm) and this may be the reason why you are seeing a change of usage.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think MI5 is right on this, you need to have some data allowance each month, or there are charges.

Message 9 of 16

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Perhaps @Anonymous could enlighten us to the current situation for BBOS7 or earlier users.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 16