cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIS will not connect via wifi when abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 9700 will not connect to the BIS (for which I pay a monthly fee) via wifi when I go abroad.  Once  I switch on (and pay for) data roaming the BIS connects! I shouldn't have to do this!

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice - I had used this option (which worked) but resented having to pay for a day's data roaming when I was paying for the Blackberry add on via my monthly account (comes from living in Yorkshire!). This situation has only occurred since the New Year so I wondered if some BIS protocols had changed as it was fine until then.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
It may sound silly have you tried restarting the phone if not give customer services a call on +44 844 809 0202 from abroad free on pay monthly
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
WiFi is nothing to do with O2.
It appears to be a BIS restriction on the WiFi network you are using as you say it connects fine over O2 mobile data connection.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried pulling the battery out while the phone is turned on then putting it back in(battery pull) or resending Service Books?

On your 9700, do the following:

1. Press the Menu key

2. Scroll to and select Setup

3. Scroll to and select Email Settings

4. Wait while your email settings are retrieved.

5. Press the Menu key

6. Scroll to and select Service Books

7. Scroll to and select Send Service Books

8. Select OK

9. The service books will be sent to your Bold 9700

Now test the connection over Wifi again.

This issue was raised on this community around 2 years ago where a number of O2 customers were unable to use BIS over Wifi. I believe it was fixed at the time and I certainly didn't have any problems at the time. The BIS connection over Wifi can be controlled by O2 but i can't think why they would restrict that type of connection.

I assume you have data roaming turned on? Do you get a BIS connection when not connected to Wifi abroad if you turn off data roaming (this may incur a very small charge as the BIS connection will send/recieve a very small amount of data when you turn of data roaming).

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks - I had tried that but to no effect.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apparently it may have been caused by the need to resynchronise the email accounts with BIS - possibly every 90 days or when you travel overseas. I'll try again in a couple of weeks when we next go to Spain. Thanks for the advice.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice - I had used this option (which worked) but resented having to pay for a day's data roaming when I was paying for the Blackberry add on via my monthly account (comes from living in Yorkshire!). This situation has only occurred since the New Year so I wondered if some BIS protocols had changed as it was fine until then.
Message 7 of 7