cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIS over wifi abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopeless! I have tried evrything - new service books, updating email preferences and still this useless situation prevails whereby I cannot connect to BIS via wifi when abroad without paying for a connection to data roaming.

I have to say the Gurus were not much help - their only suggestion was to ensure that I had updated to the correct time zone.

I can't wait for this contract to end and hopefully say goodbye to O2 after over 10 years - along with the abysmal reception here in Wharfedale my experience has not been a happy one.

Things definitely took a downward turn when Telefonica took over - clear cost reductions in the Customer Service section...but then again, you only have to go to Spain where Telefonica are the major player to see how backward they are!

I really am so fed up with this lot!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

If you're on a WiFi network abroad, what would that have to do with O2?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
BIS won't work over unsecure wifi networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Having checked on other network forums there are many threads claiming to have a problem connecting to BIS when abroad. Vodaphone is the biggest offender from what I have read. So I wouldn't think leaving O2 would make anything better for you if honest.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our home wifi in Spain is secure and it still won't work. If I switch on data roaming once (which I have to pay for), BIS will then work over our wifi.

Many thanks for your interest.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response - I guess it is time to ditch my Blackberry then. I still have other major issues with o2 as the network here in the Wharfe Valley in Yorkshire is unstable despite numerous promises to the contrary...they just tell lies!

Thanks ever so much for the information nevertheless.

Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Our home wifi in Spain is secure and it still won't work. If I switch on data roaming once (which I have to pay for), BIS will then work over our wifi.

I have Wifi in my home in Spain. Difference is I have a Note 3 and a Tablet and I have never had one connection problem. I think you are right to consider ditching the Blackberry....(sorry)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It's still not secure though as far as BB are concerned. It requires a network data connection to validate you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 11

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I didn't have a problem with BIS abroad in Canada. Obviously, I had roaming off but data services on and wifi worked in the main on my Bold 9000 (unlocked). The odd occasion it wouldn't connect to the wifi for some bizarre reason which I could only presume was a security issue on the encryption type used or the access point itself. 

But yes, its time to ditch BIS as its getting phased out now (slowly) that there is no real reliance on the BB NOC since the lauch of BB 10 and consumers aren't buying Blackberry's as they once did.

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for your interest and advice - bye, bye Blackberry when this contract expires in a couple of months. Such a shame what has become of a once brand leader!

Message 10 of 11