cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 Automated Texts in middle of the night

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all.  I have had text messages from 02 at 00.59 and 01.30 one about data allowance one about cost of phone bill.  Contacted 02 Guru and was told to turn my phone down.  I have elderly parents so this is not an option.  In the past I contacted 02 and they changed the time such messages were sent.  Apparently this is not an option I was told as they are automated texts.  Any suggestions please or was I given bad advice.  Don't mind the messages - but not to wake me and wife up in the middle of the night!!!!  Thanks

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

They are automated so changing the time most likely isn't possible, even though it's a ridiculous time to send them....
Depending on your phone, you may be able to turn off text notifications whilst leaving phone notifications on in case of an important call.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the community! This is a point that we have seen raised before by other members and I'll let the rest of the O2 know about this instance and see if there are any plans to address it in the future. Did you see the texts in the morning or did they wake you up? If so, sorry about that!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes has woken me and my wife up twice now.  Have elderly parents so when the phone goes off at night it causes a panic.  I had it in the past and 02 managed to change the time of these messages but apparently this cannot be done now. 

Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I have to agree with @Anonymous on this @Toby. When my husband was on PAYG he used to get texts about top up about 1-2am in the morning....

The thing is...when you get a text at this time (which wakes you up) it throws you into a panic.....you never imagine it will be a top up text. Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

It really isn't on - not this day and age!  I am on a contract phone.  Blind panic in the middle of the night - yes that just about sums it up and then it takes ages to get back to sleep and with work the next morning.........

Message 6 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Absurd that O2 is generating texts at that time of the morning. What rationale could they posssibly have for that?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It really isn't on - not this day and age!  I am on a contract phone.  Blind panic in the middle of the night - yes that just about sums it up and then it takes ages to get back to sleep and with work the next morning.........

Luckily for us since my other half swapped to sim only contract, he has no texts.

Believe me...I know the panic they cause...so you have my full sympathy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Absurd that O2 is generating texts at that time of the morning. What rationale could they posssibly have for that?

Computers never sleep.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Computers never sleep.......

Computers have to be programmed. A human told that computer to send texts at that time. AI hasn't taken over just yet.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 13