cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no number/private number

Anonymous
Not applicable

when a received call comes up no number or private number I panic a bit & I seriously don't know whether to answer the call or not ..... I know when private number comes up it could be a medical call & now my local medical centre has a new appointment system where you ring in - give a brief description of your ailment - then a doctor will ring you back within an hour to discuss whether you need to come into the medical centre to see a doctor

I'm concerned that when the doctor rings it will come up private number

is there a difference between no number & private number

this week one morning I had a no number call but it ended whilst I was deciding whether to answer the call or not

thank you

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

There's no hard and fast rule when it comes to something like this. If you've called your doctor, and you're expecting a callback and it comes up as a private number, answer it. If you're not expecting a call, and it comes up as a private or no number, don't answer it. If it was a legitimate call they will leave you a voicemail message. 

If you inadvertently answer a call that comes up as private or no number, and it's a cold caller trying to sell you something, hang up on them. What they're doing may not be illegal, but it's annoying and time consuming. Just hang up. You don't need to offer them an explanation or an apology. They have invaded your space. Just hang up.

I sometimes get cold calls on my landline from people trying to sell me insurance or some such nonsense. When I answer the call, sometimes there's a delay before they start speaking. It's probably their system telling them they have someone who's answered. When they start their spiel, I tell them they've reached the Metropolitan Police Department, and can I help. There's usually less than one second from the time I've said that before they hang up. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have a similar problem Jane. The other type of call is from a 'Withheld number'. This could be my husband phoning me from work ...where they use a centralised switchboard. (or the hospital)

So I answer them all.Even International calls because they could be friends from Spain.

If I don't know the caller...I just put the phone down...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 23

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
An option would be to turn on O2 voicemail and let the withheld call go to voicemail and then pick up the call after.

I find that cold callers don't leave voicemails at all typically.
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you all for your advice ..... particularly Bambino ..... it gives me more confidence when my phone rings slight_smile

Message 6 of 23

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I block all private calls and no numbers by default, to remove this being a problem. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any truth in the story that by answering some of these calls you are immediately liable for some sort of charge?  I seem to recall something like that - but maybe it is urban myth?

Message 8 of 23

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any truth in the story that by answering some of these calls you are immediately liable for some sort of charge?  I seem to recall something like that - but maybe it is urban myth?

Complete myth.....

Message 9 of 23

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I've heard that some "directory enquiries" prosper for keeping you on the line or dialling you through.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 10 of 23