cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi alternative Li-Fi proves to be 100 times faster

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks, 

I found a piece e of news that I thought you´d like to read...Basically, there is a newly invented wi-fi alternative tech called Li-Fi which is been able to send data at speeds 100 quicker than current Wi-Fi tech! Had you heard about it?

See news here. In summary:

¨Invented by Professor Harald Haas from the University of Edinburgh, Li-Fi, or light fidelity, transfers data over the visual spectrum rather than via radio waves.

It uses light bulbs that flash on and off exceptionally quickly, sending binary information to a recipient.

The fastest speed on record for the tech in a lab setting had been 3Gbit/s during the development of the tech, but two years ago, researchers began using specially developed LED bulbs that could separat the light into parallel streams, to triple the speed.

While these speeds are impressive in a lab setting, until now, results of Li-Fi tech in a real in a real world setting hasn't been really revealed.

Haas believes Li-Fi could eventually be used to power a future generation of network in conjunction with Wi-Fi, providing more consistent coverage within buildings, as well as making for a potentially more secure network as Li-Fi can penetrate walls.

Here´s Professor Harald Haas presentation too if you want to learn how it actually works and how it all came about

What are your first impressions?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I think the idea is blinding.
Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Light speed professor Haas

Message 3 of 14

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

A thousand epileptics just had a panic attack

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely fascinating / intriging slight_smile tho' I'm gonna need an injection of cash that's for sure

Such an easy way of presenting the man has ... & wonder of wonders not only was I rapt but I understood fairish of his 'lecture'

I was interrupted part-way through the video, so will need to watch it again from the beginning

He used that phrase 'the internet of things' ... have heard this phrase once before, about a year ago on BBC Radio4 The Bottom Line with Evan Davies, its a business programme, 3 guests, on that particular prog the boss of Samsung was on ... I'm curious 

What would you say 'the internet of things' means?

Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What would you say 'the internet of things' means?

According to Google Internet of things means...

The Internet of Things (IoT) is an environment in which objects, animals or people are provided with unique identifiers and the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction. IoT has evolved from the convergence of wireless technologies, micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) and the Internet. The concept may also be referred to as the Internet of Everything.

(At this time of night Jane...i hope that makes sense to you....as I am struggling a bit...) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replying Cleoriff ... I know you've had a bit of a day of it with your laptop ... I really, really do need to get into the habit of 'Google is my friend' as our much valued @Bambino (bless him) is ever so gently but un-waveringly trying to educate me to do, whereas I seem to wade in there, feet 1st, & blatantly ask questions, instead of using my own noddle & finding things out for myself ... phew ... its late for me Cougar Gal too, but I have got my head round what you have kindly posted

Tomorrow is another day

Cat

Message 7 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Well to add to everyone's problems Jane the forum was offline up to 9am with no one getting access. Out and about now and finally connected Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Tried to log on at 3am UK time and it was 9 am before I could. Not sure what was wrong or whether they were doing maintenance but nothing seems to have changed. My O2 was also offline too.

Message 10 of 14