Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is In A Name?

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

A French Court has banned a couple from naming their child 'Nutella.' However the Judge is 'allowing' them to call their child 'Ella' instead.  The reasons that the Judge gave is that he feels that the child would be ridiculed later on in life if she was called 'Nutella' as it is a chocolate snack.

I agree that the name is a little strange, but there are numerous parents calling their children children names these days.  What right does a Court have to decide what parents can call THEIR own child?

A certain celebrity couple have called their child 'Apple' - some people like the name (either due to its reference to the fruit or the company), some people hate the name, but at the end of the day the parents like the name. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30993608

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the times of naming my children the most weird name was 'Jade' !

I do think some names are a little over the top and could cause raised eyebrows , but at the end of the day it should be left up to the parents ,and possibly the child taking matters into their own hands when old enough via Deed Poll !
Message 2 of 15

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I'm glad I have a 'normal' name slight_smile

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
All depends on what a persons perception of 'normal' is.
Message 4 of 15

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

According to The Bump (http://pregnant.thebump.com/baby-names/all-about-baby-names/articles/top-10-most-unique-baby-names.a... these are apparently the Top 10 unusual baby names:

Apple

Harper

Nia

Kai

Quentin

Wyatt

Shiloh

Tatum

Indiana

Suri

They don't seem unusual to me and they are nothing compared to some names that i've seen, such as a couple naming their child YNWA (LFC)

Message 5 of 15

nevzy31
Level 4: Observant
  • 98 Posts
  • 27 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
I follow a guy on YouTube called chris pirillo and him and his wife called there baby Jedi I think it's a beautiful name
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I watch his Vlogs and blogs on new gadgets and software.

He makes the subject fun.

And Yes as he's a huge StarWars fan I'm not surprised on their choice of name for their baby daughter.
Message 7 of 15

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Some of the names are quite funny - I don't know if the parents realised at the time that they were funny or not.

Joe King

Donald Duck

Moe Lester

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know anyone called....
Steven Age,
Peter Borough,
Big Les Wade,
And why was Norman Cross?
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

According to The Bump (http://pregnant.thebump.com/baby-names/all-about-baby-names/articles/top-10-most-unique-baby-names.a... these are apparently the Top 10 unusual baby names:

Hey @gemz4the1  I can't open the link and I'm very interested in this topic! 

Message 10 of 15