Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video filming/editing

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I was reading a BBC article about shooting an entire film on an iPhone - aside from the amount of space this would take (yikes!) - I was wondering - what do people use to film and edit videos?  

Personally, being a nerd, I use a mix between my phone and cameras to film in HD PAL 29.97fps with Premiere and After Effects to edit and build the video into the finished thing.  Do others use something they consider to be better?

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
I've never really looked to make anything professional looking on my phone.

The most I've needed to do is stitch a few images and videos together from days out and holidays for the little one.

A half decent app for that was surprisingly BlackBerry story maker - I'm yet to find any decent alternative for Android though.

Do you have any work to share @Daddydoink
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Daddydoink, I know @Anonymous uses a lot of videos for his reviews. Maybe he can guive you a hand with this

Message 3 of 10

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Well, I have three videos that I've done in the last two years.. want to share is another matter - which leads me to wanting to tidy up my YouTube channel too.

One of the videos was a film of a story I wrote for the children, another was for this site (which I need to re-upload later) and the last one was a film of London.  The story was filmed on my phone (it is about 3 minutes long) - the others were on a FauxPro.  I'll upload them in a bit.

Sony Xperia XZ
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

The iPhone is a really good recording device now, especially if you want to go down the 4K route as the 6 Plus has this now. Also, you can get some cheap tripod mounts for them.

I tend to make video reviews of devices, products I have and put them on You Tube. Most of the time I use my Panasonic FZ200 bridge camera as with it having an optical zoom (the iPhone only has a digital zoom) I find its better for framing the scenes in my video. But saying that, if you are using a 6 Plus for recording and use 4K, you can sacrifice a bit of digital zoom as you have more pixels to play with in 4K.

When doing the video reviews, I use a lavalier mic that connects into a digital recorder. I use this as the sound from pretty much all built in camera mics is a bit ropey and I get really high quality sound with the lavalier, digital recorder. I later use Adobe Audition to enhance the sound slightly, if its needed. You can also use a free application called Audacity. I later use Adobe Premiere Pro to do any video editing, adding titles and also to sync the audio track from my audio recorder to the action in the video. I’ve tried Final Cut Pro for my video editing, but find my workflow is better with Premiere Pro.

When I make the video guides for stuff on the iPhone, iPad, Mac. I use the Quicktime player (which comes included with Mac’s) to record the screen of the iPhone, iPad, Mac. I also use the lavalier mic and audio recorder to record the sound. When I have finished recording, I use an application called ScreenFlow, which allows me to zoom in on parts of the video, so as I can show things in more detail for example. After this, I load the finished video into Premiere Pro and do any editing and adding of titles. After this its ready to upload to YouTube.

It does sound complicated syncing two audio tracks. But with modern video editors it’s a fast and simply process. The only thing you need to remember (as it makes for a perfectly synced track) when you start recording is to clap three times in front of the mics. This performs one of the same functions as the clapper board you see in the film industry and this is it makes a loud sound spike in the audio’s waveform, which is easy to identify/your software to identify when syncing the tracks later in post production.

I learned a lot about audio enhancing etc from someone off of You Tube. He has some really good video’s. Here’s a link to his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Tyxi96fEu0ho4mlxOEdOQ

Message 5 of 10

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

All filmed with a Xiaomi Yi

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Are those videos uploaded to your YouTube channel @viridis?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yeah, mainly just a few test runs with the quad, better to view on it as I think the 60 frames per second option is only within the app or direct on site?
Either way, for 40 quid, that cam is fantastic
Message 8 of 10

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It does sound complicated syncing two audio tracks. But with modern video editors it’s a fast and simply process. The only thing you need to remember (as it makes for a perfectly synced track) when you start recording is to clap three times in front of the mics. This performs one of the same functions as the clapper board you see in the film industry and this is it makes a loud sound spike in the audio’s waveform, which is easy to identify/your software to identify when syncing the tracks later in post production.

That is one of the neatest idea's I've heard in a while and so simple!  D'oh!  I try to avoid syncing voice, although I have an old ZoomH2 mic somewhere... 

A couple of video's for you 🙂  

I need to find the Monk and Mernk one now which is awful unless you are 5 years old!

Sony Xperia XZ
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daddydoink wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is one of the neatest idea's I've heard in a while and so simple!  D'oh!  I try to avoid syncing voice, although I have an old ZoomH2 mic somewhere... 

I've tried using Final Cut Pro to do my editing and the audio track synchronisation, but I had mixed results with it.

I now use Adobe Premiere Pro and it does it perfectly first time everytime, and I find I can edit faster and easier with Premiere Pro.

Message 10 of 10