cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitter via SMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Starting Feb 4, 2015 O2 UK will no longer support Twitter SMS notifications. Users will still be able to use 2-factor authentication and reset their password over SMS"

I am still getting the SMS notifcations but can't seem to tweet (the important part). Please help?

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

There was a recent Twittter app update to allow people to view tweets that were made 'while you were away' so maybe that will help you catch up on what you have missed when you were not able to go online?

Message 11 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
And the point of Twitter is?
Message 12 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not exactly the same...the idea was to have live updates, that "feature" will not make up for it...you have to log in to get the updates so it doesnt really do anything... 

Message 13 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gutted this feature has been removed as was how I used Twitter most. Now having to manually check tweets within the app makes it tiresome and puts me off using Twitter. #bringbacksms
Message 14 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

In total agreement with you davold!  I used SMS to tweet all the time and really fed up that this has been stopped! 

Please rethink this O2 - I've been with you since I got my first phone in 1999 and this is my first real gripe! 

Message 15 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is from Toby in an earlier post here " The Twitter SMS service was a Twitter service, not an O2 one and they have decided to terminate it."

It's not o2's decision.
Message 16 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

The alert actually states "Starting Feb 4, 2015 O2 UK will no longer support Twitter SMS notifications. Users will still be able to use 2-factor authentication and reset their password over SMS" and other UK carriers are still allowing tweets to come via SMS (and other countries have no problems). See here - https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170024#

This seems to most definitely be an O2 issue, and I'm not sure why they have stopped allowing incoming twitter SMS - most likely a financial issue where they simply don't want to keep providing a large number of free incoming texts.

As others have already said, though, I often reply on traffic and news tweets to keep me apprised of situations in a real time basis and am not always online to manually check the statuses.

It's a bad decision and will make me look at other carriers.

Message 17 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Well it appears O2 are saying Twitter decided to terminate and vice versa....

@Toby  is our Community coordinator and he was quite adamant it was down to twitter

"The Twitter SMS service was a Twitter service, not an O2 one and they have decided to terminate it."

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 53

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Apparently still available on Vodafone too?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 53

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Apparently still available on Vodafone too?

It is...I checked it out when I was looking at twitter just recently...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 53