Did you mean: 

The "Planet" Pluto

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Today marks the 10th anniversary of Pluto's demotion from the 9th planet to one of many dwarf planets that lurk in the outer Solar System. For those of us that grew up with Pluto as the 9th planet it was a bit of a blow to see it downgraded. 

The reasons for this is Pluto failed to meet the criteria of a planet along with the discovery of similar sized objects outside of Neptune's orbit. 

What do you think of Pluto's demotion? Was it a fair downgrade or was Pluto unfairly striped of the title of the 9th planet? either way it's a fascinating place that I hope we visit again in future. 

Pluto 1.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Unfair demotion.
Cool fact. When the new horizons probe was launched to go and explore our 9th planet, Pluto was still classed as a planet.
Message 2 of 4

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Unfair demotion.
Cool fact. When the new horizons probe was launched to go and explore our 9th planet, Pluto was still classed as a planet.

Agreed, I can see the logic behind the decision but I also think it was unfair. 

That's a cool fact! I suppose it was in transit for 13 years (I think) so all this would have happened during the trip. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions
Message 4 of 4