cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech News : Police placing anti-piracy warning ads on illegal sites.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Police placing anti-piracy warning ads on illegal sites.

"The City of London police has started placing banner advertisements on websites believed to be offering pirated content illegally.

The messages, which will appear instead of paid-for ads, will ask users to close their web browsers.

The move comes as part of a continuing effort to stop piracy sites from earning money through advertising."

My thoughts :

I can't see someone seeing this and immediately stopping what they are doing. :(. Its as impotent as the ISP providers sending letters but not doing anything.

Source : BBC News.
Read more here : http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28523738
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The more people they deter though helps. As fast as sites are closed new ones such as .eu and .se for example, spring up overnight.

Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
The trouble is Toby most people who repeatedly do this use ip blockers or software which gives out a fake IP address
Message 12 of 17

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
I've often been surprised that these messages do not somehow record the viewers IP details so that repeated use can lead to an investigation. Unless that is already happening.

They could do easily but on the other hand it is easy to hide the IP address where you are.

#siwy
Message 13 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Plus some isp's give non fixed ip addresses.
The larger subscription services become, the more people will switch. Blockbuster learned this the hard way and made the studios and labels take note and adapt.
There will always be piracy but if Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, Sony, Google music etc all keep advancing and tailoring fees to more interesting packages, the piracy will become pointless to the majority.
Message 14 of 17

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Plus some isp's give non fixed ip addresses.

Most do. I miss my semi-static IP address from O2 which would change about once a year (if that!)

@I do have the option of getting a static IP of Sky but it involves changing packages to their Pro package @ £5 per month extra and almost certainly slam dunked into a new 12 month contract 

Fully agree with the rest of your post.

#siwy
Message 15 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby I'm sure that this is already happening, at least we have the technology to do it... the famous cookies! They should be used for other things apart from advertising.

Message 16 of 17

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The thing with network services like Tor, they split up data between several nodes adding encrypting data at every stage. So it can be even harder to identify what people are downloading or sharing, althrough ISP's can still monitor users if they need to or have to. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 17 of 17